Are Elders given back ground checks before appointment?

by JWOP 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWOP
    JWOP

I'm researching a few things, and I'm wondering: Are elders ever put through a back ground check either before or after their appointment as an elder?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the United States, up until the time I resigned as an elder in 2006, there was no background checks whatsoever.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

None in the UK, I was appointed in 2010...resigned in 2012...appointed a few in my time...only checks are over 10 hours field circus and he is a good MS...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Don't they have to have recommendations? But I knew n elder who ripped off a lot of money from a Jw couple n was stepped down n wasn't supposed to ever be reappointed till he paid the money back. He never did; just moved to another cong n got reappointed after a few years. Then he tried ripping off the bros there, got stepped down again, n moved interstate, and that's the last I heard of him. So he got appointed without a bg check, cuz how could he have said he was repentant for stealing the money if he hadn't paid it back?

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

The only background check that goes on that I am aware of is only organizational in nature. When the recommendation for appointment or reappointment goes in to the Service Department, as I understand it, there is a check to see if the brother is disfellowshipped or not (or whether he ever has been) and for any other information about him that has been submitted by congregation bodies of elders or traveling overseers. It is not unusual to occasionally get back additional questions about a brother especially if he was disfellowshipped at some time in the past, reinstated, but the judicial committee failed to send the form back to the branch office and they still show him as disfellowshipped.

So, there is nothing procedural that I know of where the typical criminal background check occurs. I will say that generally I DO perform a criminal and sex offender check on the brother that is nationwide (United States) in scope. I do this at my own expense. I would just like to say before I recommend a man that he isn't a notorious axe murderer or child molester and we don't know about it.

• Stealth
    Stealth

They are back ground checked by the 'holy spirit'. What more could you ask for?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They have the BEST background check you can have! They ask the brother before it is announced if there is any reason he should not be appointed, ie: secret sins etc. Now how could that go wrong?

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I know of one PO that would cherry pick intended recommendations and personally pay for a background check. On one background check fishing trip, he found a brother had a DUI a few years back.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" he found a brother had a DUI a few years back. "

Well, you have to keep the congregation clean. Plus the Holy Spirit needs Brother Sherlock Mcsnoopsalot to help. The Holy Spirit has been having a hard time apponting the right people for 130 years.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Data Dog, said, "Brother Sherlock McSnoopsalot"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit