Would You Shun Your Own Son or Daughter For A Million Dollars for the rest of your life??

by Narcissistic Supply 36 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

What a strange thread.

Why does anybody even have to give it a second thought?

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

"What a strange thread. Why does anybody even have to give it a second thought?"

I agree Cofty, I could not do to my children what was done to me by my parents and thier parents and relatives for any price. Money is important to me just like it is to evryone else, but there are just some things I can't put aprice on.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Do we know if there are any health concerns of the children?

NJY

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

BsD,

Many options not black and white I like the shades of gray.

• Tech49
    Tech49

I know of a couple, must be in their late 50's, early 60's... their 2 kids left the "truth" shortly after moving out on their own. I don't know the exact story, but the short version is this..... this couple, he was an elder for MANY years, up until just recently, have shunned their kids for over 30 years, and now have been shunning their grandkids for over 10.

They don't even know their grandkids. Its pathetic, and just sick. I asked him about his kids and grandkids one time, and he just said "I dont talk about them, they arent in the "truth"."

I honestly dont know how someone could do that, it goes against every grain of humanity that is build into us as warm-blooded beings. Is anyone's children so downright evil that they ignore them and pretend they are invisible for 30 YEARS!!! What did the grandkids do to deserve that kind of treatment?

Recently, I learned that he stepped down as an elder, both of them are basically so mentally screwed up that they can barely function. Ya think !!?

Stupid idiots, think of all the years lost. Wouldnt want to bring reproach upon the Org, now would we?? How about the pain and suffering their "loyalty" has shoved down their familiy's throats. Didnt do any good did it? Oh, and I am sure that this has been such a "good witness" to their kids and grandkids, and all the people they EVER talk to, I am sure they will just RUN to the nearest KH to join these robots. Can you imagine what they say to other people about their parents.. their kids' grandparents??

Mom and Dad will soon die old, miserable, lonely, heartbroken, and mentally Fubarred.

How'd that work out for ya...??

My answer, to the original question, and the answer of the lovely Ms Harper..... No, not in a million years, or for as many millions of dollars you could pile in front of us. Our relationship with our kids is not one to be toyed with and not a bond that will be broken, no matter what mistakes or paths ANY of us take. We have, and will continue to take verbal, mental, and emotional blows for our children. We may even end up "banished." Push come to shove, they are all we have. No organization or edict will change that. Anyone who tells you different, or acts different, is sick in the head.

Jack Harper, Tech49

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@frankiespeakin Thanks. In all, the constant here is the best benefit for the child. Freedom thinking children with helecopter/needy parents create just as much damage as needy children with neglective parents, it seems. So I'm not really looking at it as 'shades of grey' as I am the best possible solution... not for me, but for the child, and the generations to come. But I guess it could be looked at as gradient shades.

There is something that's not mentioned. "Shunning" as it stands means avoidence out of disdain... rejecting someone because you despise them or what they stand for. That is different than excommunication which is a dismissal or removal from a private group. "Disfellowshipping" is presented as a mix between the two but the basic concept is "don't talk to them except in business or family matters". There is SUCH an inconsistancy about this. Some people take it to the "shun" level... others as simple "avoid talking to them". That inconsistancy is confusing to... everyone.

I don't think there are many people who would voluntarily shun their children just for money. That's just... absurd (opinion). What I was describing was on the basis of "disfellowshipping" or excommunication.

On a side note... I WISH my mother would shun me more. I would give ANYTHING to no hear any more phone calls of "encouragement" from her. She is, by far, one of the most unhealthiest influences in my adult life, and her insistance on NOT following her own religion's rules not only presents her faith as weak, but brings unneccessary negative energy into my very balanced world. And her arrogant lack of apology for invading and disrupting a decent spiritual balance I have going is shockingly disrespectful. So as a "child" in the scenario, I say YEAH TO SHUNNING!!

But as a human being, I have to say it's such a cultish element of pompous pride.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No f**king way.

(and I'd be seriously pissed at anybody with the audacity to suggest it to my face)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit