Would You Shun Your Own Son or Daughter For A Million Dollars for the rest of your life??

by Narcissistic Supply 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

simply for the money.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I don't have any children. I'd be happy to take the money and shun other children though. Where do I sign up?

• rmt1
    rmt1

http://www.babycenter.com/cost-of-raising-child-calculator

We probably need a shunning calculator to make the most pragmatic and informed choice. I bet you TWS has one. It incorporates the formula, "How much additional guilt contributions, activity, involvement, human life-years, etc, can we extract from remaining family members after one is ejected? Solve for x."

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Millions of JWs shun all kinds of family members--moms, dads, sons and daughters, sisters and brothers--all for free simply because WT leaders tell them to.

• adamah
    adamah

The question reflects a basic MISUNDERSTANDING of human motivations: it's not about money.

Social psychologists know you don't need to pay $$$ to get people to do something, and in fact, paying $$$ would likely have the opposite effect of demotivating compliance by cheapening the decision, forcing people to think in terms of THEIR own economic/monetary value. That's the LAST thing you'd want to do here, since those who shun use the plausibly-deniable excuse of doing it FOR the benefit of the person they're shunning.

Instead of monetary reward, a policy that enforces shunning works most effectively simply by telling people they have to do it to earn some non-financial intangible 'reward', to gain access to something of shared value amongst members of the group (eg surviving Armageddon, Panda Petting privileges in the New System, earning God's approval, etc). Take economic factors out of the decision, and many people will throw their own flesh and blood under the bus in a heart-beat to get that non-economic benefit.

Whether it was done intentionally or not, religion has long exploited weaknesses in the psychology of human decision-making, after stumbling upon some common principles that just work. Christianity has had millenia to perfect the secret-blend that allows for motivation of human behavior.

Adam

• flipper
    flipper

Hell no. Money's not that important- relationships are. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Easy answer NO!!!

• minimus
    minimus

nope

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I don't even have kids... but if I did... NOPE

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I do not have a kid but if I did have a kid, I will love him or her with all of my heart, I would not shun my child for even $1 million.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit