My first gun

by LivingTheDream 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• LivingTheDream
    LivingTheDream

My first gun

I realize that not all JWs avoid guns. If you live where they hunt for food, it was OK to have guns as a JW. But really, how many places was that? It wasn't around my house at least. Nobody I knew had one. So, I never even touched a gun until I was middle aged and out of "The Truth".

After my fade, I began to make many different kinds of friends. Some loved music. Some loved food. Some loved sports. Some loved strippers. But lots of them loved guns. Don't know why. They just did. Pistols, revolvers, shot guns and rifles. I felt like an idiot around the subject of guns. Decided to do something about it. Darn it, I'd get my own. Why not?

"Home protection" seemed to be the universal OK reason to buy a gun. So, that's what I told the guy at the gun store. He handed me what he said was the new "hot" gun of the year. A Springfield Armory XDM 9mm, with Night Sights. It came with a holster and extra 19 round cartridges. Bought a gun bag, gun cleaner, gun targets, eye protection, ear protection, 500 rounds of practice ammo, the whole nine.

With minimal training from my buddies, I took all evening loading and unloading those cartridges until it became easy. Took the gun apart and put it back together so I was comfortable with that. Went to an indoor range. Put it all together, slammed in the cartridge and locked and loaded the thing. Slowly aimed it at the target.

Took a slow deep breath... squeezed the trigger. BLAM!

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

Each shot gave me more confidence.

BLAM!

I felt powerful. I felt exhilarated. I felt free somehow.

BLAM! BLAMITY-BLAM-BLAM!

I emptied it. Brought the target back to examine my handiwork with high expectations...

Oops. I found that I pretty much sucked at shooting. My shots were all over the place. Oh well. I'd try it again. And again. And again. And again.

These days I'm much better with my piece. I practice all the time now. My pistol sits in my code operated gun safe on my night stand. I might not be the best shot, but if anybody ever breaks into my house, heaven help him. He'll get 19 rounds of hollow point in him somewhere, I can tell you that. I have 3 extra cartridges waiting in that safe too, in case he has buddies and that one 19 round cartridge is not enough.

Now I don't want to shoot anybody. I'm not that kind of guy. But, if my family is threatened and they are in my home, make no mistake: I won't blink.

After I got pretty good with that pistol I started eyeing my second gun: A Mossberg 590A1 tactical 12 guage shotgun with Ghost Rings.

But that's another story.

Brock Talon

• Glander
    Glander

The only thing you didn't mention was a handgun class. Are you getting a permit?

I have a Mossberg 12 ga. pumper with 8 round capacity. Pachmer pistol and slide grips. It is zero fun to shoot. Great for home protec.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

And i say unto thee.... BLAM BLAM BLAM

Come on guys, less slugs and more HUGS x0x0x0x0

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

Good for you.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

snr, Holy Crap man. That's a @#$@#$ gun!!

• marmot
    marmot

In Canada it's rather complicated to own a handgun but I bought a nice little .22 rifle for my fiancée for her birthday. Next purchase is going to be a shotgun for shooting clays. I have no interest in home defense since it's essentially illegal to use a firearm for that purpose anyway.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

im about to get one as well, there has been a lot of home invasions in my area, one where they tied up a family and held them at gun point. its one thing if a crack head breaks into my house to steal, most times they may run away if you have a gun, so i wouldnt kill someone like that. and if they run i wouldnt even shoot him. but if you come into my house looking to tie me and my 3 year old son up and possibly kill us, then i will not hesitate to do what i have to do to make sure that doesnt happen. i guess its part of lifes cycle, this has almost always been a great area, but alot of bad stuff has been happening. this is what i dont get about total anti gun people, what are you suposse to do, just let them tie you and your family up? i dont get it.

• TD
    TD
    I realize that not all JWs avoid guns. If you live where they hunt for food, it was OK to have guns as a JW. But really, how many places was that? It wasn't around my house at least. Nobody I knew had one. So, I never even touched a gun until I was middle aged and out of "The Truth".

Funny thing - Shooting enthusiasts among JW's are pretty quiet about it. It's surprising how many there are in some parts of the country though. --And how very little it has to do with hunting.

These days I'm much better with my piece. I practice all the time now. My pistol sits in my code operated gun safe on my night stand. I might not be the best shot, but if anybody ever breaks into my house, heaven help him. He'll get 19 rounds of hollow point in him somewhere, I can tell you that. I have 3 extra cartridges waiting in that safe too, in case he has buddies and that one 19 round cartridge is not enough.

LOL - Reloading is a fun hobby too.

(Reloading = Resizing the empty brass case, Punching out the spent primer, pressing in a new one, adding powder and a new bullet to make a fresh cartridge to put in your magazine)

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Before you begin to really irritate me, it's called a "magazine".

A "cartridge" is the case, powder, primer, bullet assembly that goes inside the magazine. Show some respect and learn a bit.

• Glander
    Glander

Min Amos --- cartridges are also known as "caps". As in 'pop a cap in 'yo ass'. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit