has shunning been downplayed?

by chickpea 23 Replies latest jw friends

• chickpea
    chickpea

several times over the course of a year or so, JWs from the KH i attended have been downright chatty during happenstance crossing of paths...

wth is up with that? i have no grudges against any of them, but it is confusing as all get out to have left the cult as an ardent supporter of my out, open, front page headlining transgender son, becoming vocally and DECIDELY apostate knowing i was dead to them... now after at least a half decade out, to have them chummy-ing up to me in a check-out line.... frankly, i would rather they look the other way, you know, if none of them would ever genuinely want to know how my son is doing

did i miss some edict that softened the cult's stance on "not even greeting such ones?"

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Shunning is like tarring and feathering someone with an air gun.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi chickpea, If you don't want to be bothered by fake JW friendships, ask them something that they will label you as an apostate. How about ask them "Who is their mediator with Jehovah?" If they say Jesus Christ and they are not annointed, then remind them that the GB's new light is that the GB is their mediator.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

I think its just human inconsistancy. Nervousness in a confrontational situation might make them make the best of a situTion. Or maybe they Re ashamed of themselves deep down inside. If you are not officially disfellowshippdd or disassociated then that is the answer.p

• Gopher
    Gopher

There is no loosening of the Watchtower rules. They are at war with apostates, as was shown by the hostile tone they raised at the district conventions this summer.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I think it depends upon their mood, they always pretend like they don't see me when I see someone from my old JW life

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Maybe they got some of the points you were making. Just because they can't bring themselves to 'grow a pair' and out their doubts, doesn't mean they should shun you when there are no spies around.

While their non-cult personality is having a day out, let them enjoy it. They might even get to like it.

• Thetis
    Thetis

Could it be that they too are having doubts? I remember a time during my fade that I would deliberately go up to those who were known apostates and have a chat. (perhaps to ease my guilt at my despicable behaviour towards them previously)

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

I am still in, and I can tell you. Shunning has not been downplayed.

The society has turned even stricter about shunning. In several articles over the last years they have written that we should even shun family members, having not the slightest communication and not even by E-mail.

I was an elder, and especially shunning (among other doubts) led me to step down as an elder.

It shows me, that God is not behind the Warchtower organisation. Recently I spoke to one elder about this unloving and unbiblical shunning. I told him, that it can lead to great depression and suicide. The only thing he could tell me was: Discipline always hurts.

I told myself in my heart: I would never shun someone anymore. If I meet a df person somewhere I would normally talk to him. Recently I opened the doir at the Kingdom Hall to a df person. I greeted him normally.

Not to do that is in my opinion against several human rights articles.

Maybe the ones you met had similar feelings.

• HowTheBibleWasInvented
    HowTheBibleWasInvented

THEY DID NOT RAISE A HOSTILE TONE IN THE LATEST CONVENTION!

They took a "mouse in the corner" tone.

"Apostates say if we have truth we should see both sides of the picture. No we shouldn't."<<<< Words like this were said. It puts them in a defensive position that is a sign of failing. The elder reading this did not sound convinced. After all there is the Boreans scripture....lol

The society knows they WILL die. Thus in the time left they will milk the flock for money so the 8 members can retire to a tropical island. (BTW I plan to as well by but my wife owns lands in the Philippine so.. lol)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit