Service in a foreign country

by FadeToBlack 10 Replies latest jw friends

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I am not here on assignment. We came here (Poland) to take care of my wife's mother.

I was often asked when I returned to the US if it was difficult to participate in the preaching work in a foreign country when I was not fluent in the native language. Not at all, I replied. It is the same as in the US. Huh? Ok, let me give you a few examples...

Door #1-#14. Nobody home. Leave a tract or old mag.
    Door #15: Somebody comes to the door, recognizes who we are, and closes the door.
    Door #16-#23: Nobody home. Leave a tract or old mag.

Coffee break (this must be universal)

Door #24: Someone answers door and we each say hello. Since I am already in fade-mode, I mention that I am encouraging people to read the bible and offer to read a verse together. Person declines or asks where I am from. If I get lucky (sorry, I forgot - can't mention luck) - I mean if the person is hospitable and curious they invite us in and we talk about why I am in Poland. (This is useful in the winter. The 'friends' liked to work with me in winter since we often got invited in for some tea.)

After a brief non-bible related chat we leave. Nice people here in Poland.

Door #25-#50: Nobody home. Leave a tract or old mag.

Break for lunch. I go home.

Now, I can't even go through that. Especially if I have to have another mini-meeting before going out in service! For a while they were even having post-service meetings to discuss how wonderful the morning's activity was - but at least you got some snacks and coffee.

What a waste of time. And I'm old. I only have so much left. I'd rather spend what time left I have in my garden or playing with my dogs. I don't think that is asking for much. If I could have some chickens or geese, it would be enough. Don't need no WT.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hey Fade, PM me tell me where you are.

You are a funny guy.

Yes.

Hello WORLD that is how field service IS. Drives ME crazy.

Life saving work...lol...you go bug the same good mannered people on your territory card, twice a year or every other month.

You guys in Hawaii... Honestly you bug your neighbors TWICE a week? Dang, Dog and Beth Chapman should do something about that. lol

Most who have a life politely do not open the door. lol

Those that do, do it to break up the monotony of their day. lol

It is always fun to check out the JDubs that come to your door.

Thank you FadeToBlack for sharing with us how you are perservering in Poland. I bet The Friends ( tm) like working with you Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall.

I hadn't really thought about "preaching" in a foreign language. JDubs speaking their own language most of the time don't get past hi, how are you this morning. SLAM lol lol lol

I wish you a happy summer and hope you take time for the more important things to do in life, than go around bugging nice, polite, busy neighbors.

Hugs to your mom. It is no fun getting old.

Just Lois

PS Please post more of life as a JDub in Poland. Where do you go for coffee? In the States it is Starbucks, McDonald's, Tim Horton's.

Oh, and did you get any Rolly Carts? lol

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Hi Lois,

I'm in a small village about 50km from Warsaw. Nearest town is about 15 km away. They just got their first McDonalds. I imagine it will be quite popular for coffee breaks this winter. I don't remember the last time I was in service. My involvement is mosty limited to an occasional Sunday meeting - perhaps once a month. My wife mentioned we have a SAD on Sept 29th (in Warsaw). Perhaps at that time we might get introduced to the rolly-cart.

My wife's mother died this January (at the age of 94). At that point it was either her or my wife. I wasn't sure who would go first. Not a fun job.

My overall impression of the 'friends' here: very earnest, helpful. No bad experiences for me. But, I just can't particpate in something I don't believe in any more. The fact that I don't speak fluent Polish might actually be helpful in keeping the hounds at bay. The same games are played here, there just hasn't been enough time to get as bad as it is the US and other western countries.

It is always sad to lose someone you love. Your MIL making it to 94. Good for her. I am sure her daughter helping her, and loving her had a lot to do with it.

I have seen caregiver's give out. I understand when you speak of your MIL or your wife. I read that instead of going to meeting , you two danced The Cha-Cha. lol Good for you two. I know you are doing everything you can to help your wife recuperate after her time helping her mom have a loved one care for her at the end of her life.

We born in's, who were told Millions Now Living Will Never Die, are dead, dying or old. I have heard that at DO's and CO's since I was little.

I heard from a sister that went to a Polish Convention some years back that the custom of hand kissing was still in vogue. Have you seen it, or has it become pas-se?

I can't imagine ending my days in a foreign country. I want to get back to where I came from. Don't know if I can make it happen. Words like "Home" mean so much. But if you are with the one you love... You are "Home".

Just Lois

PS What is stopping you from having chickens or geese, if that is what you want?

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Lois,

The custom of hand-kissing is mostly limited to guys older than 40 that still remember polite society. For example, we had a contractor visit us to put together a bid for some work, and he insisted on kissing my wife's hand. Among younger generation, extremely rare.

Regarding the chickens and geese: I have everything ready for them. My wife gave me permission but since I knew I would be returning to the states to visit family in the near future, I held off. I did not want to burden her with my 'hobby'. I will start on the project this Spring, probably at first buying chickens that are already of egg-laying age.

I have no intention of returning to the US permanently. I am quite comfortable here and should be able to retire on social-securty alone. I can't imagine trying that in the US!

When we were first living in Warsaw we were part of the English speaking congregation. It was even a bigger time waster. Service consisted of travelling all over the city looking for people who could speak English. It was probably a good gig if you were pioneering. Imagine just walking past people that you could talk to but didn't because you were on a mssion to find some guy from Vietnam that supposedly could speak some English! And then when you finally got to where he might live or work, he of course wasn't there or available.

Hi Fade, Your perspective on life is interesting. I am happy to hear a fellow American is content and settled in his choices of life. You are the first I have ever heard of going to Poland to live.

I know some JW's (real ones - not fader's lol) that are in Ukraine. I have heard of very primitive living there.

I know of some party going JW's who kept the party going by moving down to the resort areas of Mexico. I hear they are having a... party , lol living it up, place some mags, give a talk, drink a beer, go for a swim, do business on the Internet. They couldn't be happier.

We have a Spanish congo here. Their territory is ridiculously huge. They go through the phone book, picking out Spanish last names and cold call at that address. Not much interest unless it is someone by themselves, then they get loved bombed, and, well you know that story.

I heard the French congo in LA, takes in part of LA and Orange County's.

What a waste of a human and a car's life.

In Poland, do their single and double KHalls look like ours?

Do they have ATM machine's at their Assembly Halls?

I don't know about the education system there. Is University still paid for by the government?

Just Lois

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

I had the chance to go to Warsaw this summer for a math conference.

I have to say I enjoyed it very much, it is definitely a country where I could imagine to live.

I am originally from Germany, lived for a while in France, and am at the moment finishing my PhD in th US. My time in Poland was a very relaxed and fruitful for my work, so I am considering applying for a job there.

I always enjoy hearing from life in other countries. Thanks for posting this!

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@Lois: I think you would know it was a KH if you were walking past. In Warsaw, the Polish hall we went to had 2 separate halls with center lobby and upstairs apartment. Biggest difference I noticed was that we have windows in the KH. I remember trying to get a seat by the glass emergency exit door at current hall so I could watch the birds outside in the garden during the snorefest.

Regarding ATMS. I haven't seen any yet, but they do announce that if you want to donate by CC or debit you can visit the Chairman's office.

University system has changed. Now most students take a loan which they can't pay back when they graduate since they can't find a job.

I hope I get to visit Ukraine soon. I hear the people are very hospitable like in Poland (once they get to know you). Yes conditions outside the big cities would be considered primitive or rough by Western standards. On the other hand, if the lights went out permanently, or another massive economic crisis hits, they will still be doing what they have always done and still know how to do - work their very fertile land.

@Nika Bee: Warsaw is not pretty, but it is interesting. For a young person there is lots to do. If I was going to live in a city, I would choose something a bit smaller. I lived and worked in Wroclaw for a year and fell in love with the place (used to be Breslau, a German city as you probably already know). Alot of young professionals from places like Spain and Italy are starting to show up. I am constantly amazed that it is completely normal for most young professionals to speak at least 3 languages.

If I may ask, what are you getting your PhD in?

• Nika Bee
    Nika Bee

Hi Fade,

I am doing my PhD in math, and I am hoping to be able to stay in academia. It depends on where there are good post doc offers in my field. One of my class mates got his masters (or equivalent) in Wroclaw. My advisor is originally from Poznan.

I've a Ukrainian friend whose family lives in a small city. They also have some sort of country house, where they grow lots of vegetable and fruit. From what I hve heard it's a very nice place.

And there are no windows in the KHs in the US? The ones in Germany that I went to always had windows.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

@Nika Bee: Math, my first love. I remember as an undergrad my professor for Calculus encouraging me to switch majors (from Comp-Sci). I had a bad experience in Differential Equations after that with a student-teacher from the Middle-east that led me to stick with comp-sci as a major. Worked out pretty well. I am still working in the field. It was funny in Wroclaw, my son is older than most of the people I worked with. Maybe age discrimination is not as bad in the EU as it is in the US. I doubt I would ever get a job doing c++ programming in the states.

If I had to do it all over, I would probably choose linguistics as a major. Really enjoyed some work I did in Speech Recognition technology.

Regarding windows: some older halls had them. I recall KH in Buolder Colorado that had windows in the lobby overlooking Rockies to the west. I think it must be a liabilty issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit