Shunning for inactive ones?

by frogonmytoe 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder how long it will be before the WT comes right out and says plainly that any who do not attend the meetings are "bad association" and should be "marked", or treated as though DA'd ?

When I saw the Thread Title, I thought it was going to be a guide on how we inactive ones can "shun" JW's, I actually did this the other day, I saw the pompous arse of an Elder who twice tried to DF me, and his gossipy, divisive wife as we shopped the other day, she took a long look right at me, I turned and walked away.

I will be polite to most JW's I see, give a cheery wave and a hello, but not this couple, they think they are so superior, even to other JW's, and I know they would have literally and metaphorically looked down their nose at me. (Literally, because Bro Pompous-Arse has a huge Honker, he has to look down it !)

So I shunned them first.

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

nonjwspouse - thanks for the reminder, yes I do believe everyone should have the right to say what goes on under their own roof.

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

Of course they will justify not associating with inactive ones, and use all the upbuilding association scriptures to back it up, but to basically state outright that it's obligatory to shun them surprised me, even by controlling dubs standards.

To answer questions: both sons have moved out, and the unmarried one has never lived under his parents' roof since stopping going to the meetings.

I always thought the lost sheep was more important too, that is exactly what I said to my sister, but she said that people can tell when someone is inactive through personal problems or because they have been possessed by the evil apostate demon (or something like that anyway). Amazing to have the power of telepathy like the elders....

My sister actually invited me to see a new hall on its open morning before the dedication, and I said I'd rather not if I was going to be shunned by people. My sister assumed this was because I'd spent the evening before drinking too much wine with one of the 'immoral' sons. It wasn't, it was a perfectly reasonable question being as a friend of my sister's had excluded me from a theatre trip whilst I was visiting her (for my one week a year visit)

Phizzy - sorry to disappoint with my title, I too ignore dubs now, I have no interest in talking about the latest DC and who mans the preaching table in the town centre...

• blondie
    blondie

*** w01 10/1 pp. 17-18 How Can You Help a “Prodigal” Child? ***

How Others Can Help

17 What about a youth who is not disfellowshipped from the Christian congregation but who has become weak in faith? “If one member suffers,” wrote the apostle Paul, “all the other members suffer with [him].” (1 Corinthians 12:26) Others can take an active interest in such a youth. Of course, a measure of caution is needed, since a spiritually ailing youth could adversely influence other young ones. (Galatians 5:7-9) In one congregation, well-meaning adults who wanted to help some youths who had become spiritually weak invited them to gatherings to play popular music together. Though the youths readily complied and enjoyed such sessions, their influence on one another eventually led them to cut their ties with the congregation. (1 Corinthians 15:33; Jude 22, 23) What can help heal the ailing child is, not social gatherings with no spiritual direction, but association that helps him to cultivate a taste for spiritual things.

*** g93 12/22 pp. 26-27 Live a Double Life—Why Not? ***

So if you associate with youths who do not respect your Bible-based values and morals, you can easily be drawn into their life-style. Interestingly, though, the apostle was not talking specifically about associating with unbelievers when he issued that warning. He was warning against associating with those within the Christian congregation who fail to uphold Christian teaching. (1 Corinthians 15:12) Similarly today, there may be youths associated with the congregation who do not adhere to or recommend proper Christian living. They can place subtle pressure upon you to lead a double life.

*** lv chap. 3 pp. 31-32 par. 13 Love Those Whom God Loves ***

Occasionally, there may be a situation in the congregation that calls for us to watch our association. Some individuals might engage in questionable conduct. Others may develop a bitter or complaining spirit. Congregations in the first century C.E. faced a similar challenge. While most members were faithful, some individuals did not conduct themselves aright. Because some in the congregation in Corinth did not uphold certain Christian teachings, the apostle Paul warned the congregation: “Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.” (1 Corinthians 15:12, 33) Paul cautioned Timothy that even among fellow Christians, there might be some who do not act honorably. Timothy was told to keep clear of such ones, not making them his close associates.—2 Timothy 2:20-22.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I have already noticed it the few times I have been to the hall in the last 6 months. In Poland it is customary when you enter the hall after you have found your seat to go around the hall and greet everyone. Just a quick handshake and a hello. It is not hard to notice that some individuals are going out of their way avoid contact. It just makes me laugh. To see their faces when they notice it is me, the evil meeting-misser. You would think there was oozing green sores on my face and hands the way they react.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

This is not just in small towns. I know elders that were recently deleted for similar actions major cities. One has a kid that was never baptized but left the org many years ago and recently started a relationship again with the JW family so the grandchildren could know their grandparents. The Elder chose his family and was deleted.

Another has a baptized kid that walked away many years ago. Has regular association with Jehovah Witness family and relatives. Supposedly, they all knew the person lived with someone for several years unmarried and never reported it. There were several elder, MS and pioneer deletions.

Ridiculous!

With everyone I know that's been in this situation recently, they chose family over a title in the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit