Shunning for inactive ones?

by frogonmytoe 25 Replies latest jw friends

• sspo
    sspo

Small isolated congregation often have stricter rules than big city congr. that might be more liberal.

Same in the US...try small congr. in Alabama, TN and KY and you'll find that the elders could be a pain in the ass and run a tight ship in the way you dress, where you work and on and on and suck the life and joy of many publishers.

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

frogonmytoe: My sister couldn't remember the scriptural basis for this talk, and didn't seem bothered by it.

That's because there isn't one, a scriptural basis that is. Of course she wasn't "bothered by it" because JWs are trained to "Listen, Obey and Be Blessed!" without thought, consideration or questioning. If an elders says it from the platform it must be true and it must be obeyed.

The Bible is merely a prop in this religion.

Controllers gotta' control, and rule-makers gotta' make rules. Simple as that.

Sorry to hear it, BTW,

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

It could be that they are not considered "exemplary". Which can be a big and wide net used anyway you want. Considering some of the other recent topics, it seems to be a trend of increased encouragement/enforcement of shunning inactive ones and possibly pursuing them to disfellowship them. As I said in another topic, it is getting pathetic.

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

This is BS. There are so many members who go out who are unable to do so because of health issues, etc. I thought that religion was for those who want to serve god because they want to and not by mandating that you do so. I have always had an independent streak and would always ask questions. Because of that, I've been labled the bitch, the shit starter, trouble, you name it and YES, I'll take that label and wear it proudly. I called an CBO a liar to his face, asked said CBO why this brother was standing outside of the womens restroom to look at the young girls, and why was it okay for a brother to have all of the responsibilities of leading when sisters did not qualify when most of them I knew were qualified for teaching. I told him that I was seeking higher education and he walked away, shaking his head. What a little, bittie, short man, who despised me! Mission Accomplished!!!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I was a victim of this. Due to my work schedule and required overtime, I could only make the School/Service Meeting and even then I would miss some of those. After a year of that I tried making a comeback. No one would speak to me at the Kingdom Hall.

• franticfran
    franticfran

I agree with seperationofpowers, we have not been to meetings for almost two years now and never get visits from either elders or brothers its as if were disfellowshipped,and my husband often say what happened to the principle of leaving the 99 sheep to go and find the lost one! Mind you if they did come looking I would be out of the back door so fast! To little too late now.

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

Truth_b_known, if it's any consolation, I've heard of this happening to others too.

Also, I've heard of JW parents not letting children who were living with someone else without being married, not stay overnight when they come to visit.

Before I found JWN, I thought maybe it was just the parents being unreasonable ... it's great to know the real reason(s).

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

ok Wishing Liz, I have to say, I am not a JW never have been never will be, but..... I too would not allow my grown children to bring a live in to spend the niight unless they slept in different rooms. I had younger children in the house and this was a house rule.The same with the one grown child that smoked, though I didnt have to tell her at all, she never smokes in my presance, or even alludes to the fact she was smoking. She knows how strongly I feel about it. She has on ocassion told me how long it has been that she has not smoked when trying to quit. My children knew what my ( although few) strong rules were, and they never tried to cross the line while living in our home. Once out, even if they were crossing the line, out of respect they didn't discuss it around me ( and I never brought it up either). We still have a very active loving family relationship regardless. In all, they rarely crossed those lines and when thy did, they didn't continue. I'm happy for that. They are all fantastic kids.

So maybe just this once, maybe its not about the JW but about personal moral parental house rules.

However, I am watching this new cracking down on the inactive and even "those opposed" very closely. It seems to be getting extreme. Maybe slowly like a frog in a pot of water slowly coming to a boil. The blinded JW don't see the extreme nature of it until the frog is dead.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@FOMT - You have a PM!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit