Tech 49: the 3 F's...Fading, Field Service, and Friends

by Tech49 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tech49
    Tech49

Here we are, the family and I, moving along in our slow journey to freedom. Although they are unaware, for the most part, our ship is slowly veering off course. Not enough to cause attention, not enough to trigger alarm bells, but just enough.

Since the summer DC, I have watched carefully, as the new releases remain on the coffee table, in plain sight, not touched, more of a decoration that anything. The kids watched the DVD, Ms. Harper and I have not, me more out of protest than anything. They didnt say too much about it, just said how much it was like a movie more than anything, and lacked realism.

In the last 6 months, work has conveniently left my schedule pretty jammed up, mostly by design. This has definitely affected our meeting attendance, mine in particular. I have calculated carefully, and I am at a stunning 30% ! Ms Harper isnt far behind, maybe at 50%. The kids go more, as the oldest can drive, and they have a good time. What is notable, is that no one seems to have noticed..... odd, given that not long ago I was an ELDER !

Field service has been a little experiment of mine. Since about March, I have pretty much quit going. Seems almost WRONG to say that, but it is what it is. I dont turn in any time at all, or very little if my FSOverseer bugs me about it, when he can catch me at the KH. I might then give him the obligatory handwritten "2". Last month I went out on the 1st Sat (still havent turned in a report for that month), when we all meet at the KH as a congregation..... wife and I sent the kids out with their friends, as they wanted to have fun, so we went out for coffee and donuts by ourselves, and pretty much nothing else! Good god, we are just not in the mood anymore. Its so repetitious and bland, we would rather have our toe nails pulled! Again, same story.... no one seems to notice or care.

At the KH, for field service today, the other elders are just soooooo busy doing their elder things... putting the rolly carts together that the Branch has sent to the congregation (3 rolly carts, mind you), and trying to find willing volunteers to drag them around our little city and park... I almost laughed! Jeez, they look like little literature sellers...oh, wait....... Again, Vic and I went on our own merry way, enjoyed scouting the "territory" for a new house to buy! (we are in the market). Pick up the kids at noon, and off we go! A marvelous day!

And speaking of friends, did I tell you that ours ALL seem to be shallow, fickle, and mostly just plain stupid. And VERY CONDITIONAL. No one seems to look past their own noses, unless of course you step out of line, and as long as you don't raise a stink, they dont seem to notice the ENOURMOUS, HUGE difference that MY life has taken in the last 12 months. Nothing. The elders havent said a word, even our "friends" cant seem to notice the forest for the trees. But they arent our friends anymore. I see them in the "clicks" that we are no longer a part of. Just because of a title. Makes me ill.

As a part of my little social experiment, I have purposefully invited several families over, at different times throughout the summer, for dinner, a bbq, or just beers on the back deck. Multiple times, I have maneuvered the situation so that I would be alone with 2 other elders, just to see what kind of conversation we would have, what kind of "encouragement" would be uttered, or even just questions about our family, our (Ms Harper and my) thinking and difficulties. My little experiment has yielded the expected results..... NOT ONE THING has EVER been asked about us, nor have I been offered ANY kind of encouragement or even been asked about my OBVIOUS change in meeting attendance and field service activity. NOTHING. Idiots.

Get this.... in the last 15 months, I have gone from giving Assembly parts, public talks twice a month, Service Meeting parts every week, just at the least.... to 1 bible reading and 2 5-minute talks from the Reasoning Book. A total of 13 minutes of stage time in 1 1/2 years. Havent been invited to offer a prayer for the congregation, not once in that time. Not that I mind, now, but come on..... did not ANYONE notice a change? These guys have their heads so far up their rear ends, and so focused on making sure their rolly carts are in good order, they don't see what is happening right in front of them.

I am saddened, not for myself, but for those poor publishers that need so desperately to be needed and wanted.

On the upside, I really am beginning to see the very faint stirrings of activity in the minds of my children. My daughter is a thinker. Her mind dwells on things for days at a time, and we have some really deep conversations. This one will awake! It will take a little time, but she is very analytical, and focused. She sees hypocrisy a mile away, and is starting to ask a few questions that will shortly take her down the rabbit hole.

Ms Harper and I are very happy where we are at, and with where we are going. Most times, we dont talk openly about the obvious path we are on, and I see why. Her mind can't handle it quite yet. We dance around the obvious, like lovers in the night air, swirling and bending to the music in the moonlight....Often, her mouth opens, and out spews the parroted jibberish that we are so used to, almost as if its on repeat..and then she just stops and looks at me... she knows what she just said, and she now knows how utterly silly it sounds. She wont admit it yet, but she knows.

We both know. And we dance.

Jack and Vic Harper

Tech49

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Hey Tech49, aside from the fact I was until recently an MS and never an elder, your account is very similar to mine. I recently had an elder do some work for me. He sat for hours with me in my private office and never once asked how I or the family were doing. This is a guy who normally is never backward in coming forward. This is a guy who sat in my house to discuss my qualifications.

But then again, why would you rock the boat when your being paid?

• Ding
    Ding

What started your awakening?

• obfuscatetheobvious
    obfuscatetheobvious

Hey Tech,

Very similar experience here. No one has said a word to me. I was very active both organizationally and socially and then I came almost to a dead stop.

Besides the lack of "spiritual care", I often wonder whether it makes people think. I know every time I heard that someone very active (or strong) had stopped or left, I always wondered why. I was never close to anyone of those that did so I never asked them. But if your marriage mate or good/best friend stopped doing something that presumably they loved doing previously, surely that would warrant a couple of thoughtful questions?

The only questions I've gotten are from my wife along the lines of "How could you?"

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey good work!! A quiet fade is best.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Good job jack. I feel you on what you have described. Don't be sad about not getting noticed like you might have thought. I had very close family still in who hounded the e,ders to shepherd me. I was pestered for months. It's a horrible experience. You can't really tell them what's wro g. You just have to deal with the hounding non-stop. Anyways, glad it's working well for you. Hang in there.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I sometimes wonder if they do know exactly what is happening but either refuse to acknowledge it because they don't want to rock the boat or they wish they could do the same thing as you and don't want to interfere in your life. They can see you're happy so why worry about you? There again they may have so many problems to deal with in their own life that they don't have time to think about anyone else's.

It's going much the same way for me. People ask hubby how I am sometimes but it seems no one has a clue as to what is really happening, or if they do they're not bothered about it. I'm happy about it because it makes it a lot easier for me. My friend is feeling much the same way as your wife, she has said to me that she wants her and I to leave the meeting together as soon as it finishes (during the CO's visit... our husbands are both elders) so we don't get nabbed by the CO's wife for FS. Sounds good to me..I told her I don't do first call anymore anyway, only my return visits that I just pass the time of day with and leave the magazines that they like to read (and have done for years). She told me she was irregular for the first time last month and couldn't care less. I reckon everyone is just getting tired of it all.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Great report. Don't be offended, but I suggest you move that fade up a bit for the sake of the children. It's going great, but it's not just you and the wife.

They still go to meetings and occasional recruiting sessions. Make a goal and get them outta there.

But nice report on your full awakening. Elders really have no answers. Many of us go through a phase of being glad they don't bother us, but wondering why they don't even try to bring us back to full-activity. In the long run, you know you are better off being left alone.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

The Elders are glad you are out of the way, more glory for them!

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Tech49-Interesting post, thank you for sharing it with us. Your writing, by the way, is very enjoyable. You might want to find some books on critical thinking to review with your kids. The books for older kids use scenarios on how to spot bogus claims in advertising, peoples' statements, situations and so forth. They have really helped my kids learn to think. Congrats on getting your wife on your side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit