Wow! My brother is just too dumb for words....

by Witness My Fury 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KateWild
    KateWild

I wanted him to know that both are correct, not either / or.-WMF

I see where you're coming from. It is difficult to reason with them sometimes. I remember I told my daughter she was being controlled by a damaging cult. I was getting so frustrated. It could have ended really badly, but it wasn't the best wake up call. I deeply regret it.

I wish you more joy the next chance you get to see your brother WMF

Love Kate xx

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I love Karen Armstrong's books. Something similar happened in my family. I did not raise the issue b/c my relatives were so brainwashed. There was a time when I would be absolutely certain that Armstrong lied. Most people would trust Armstrong's credentials as an academic scholar. The WT does not want its members exposed to outside sources. While I was ill, I stayed with my aunt and uncle overnight. They started a study in front of me which I found provocative b/c they knew I left the Witnesses. As my uncle read from a Witness book, I just could not stay quiet over the blatantly false history. I said something that no one but the Witnesses believed the event happened. I mentioned neutral historical sources that were not part of any church. They were shaking. I was refuted with another Witness book.

I wept. If one is reading Karen Armstrong, one is no longer a Witness. The bonds are already shattered. For some reason, I always trusted my teachers and text books more than the Witnesses. It caused great pain until I was able to leave. Cults can't exist with a free marketplace of ideas. I expect your brother was confused and upset. The WT quotes outside sources out of context or deliberately lies about the content. When I was younger, I actually believed that all these illustrious scholars they cite were Witnesses. Education made me begin to doubt. Perhaps once your brother is challenged, he might want to secretly read Karen Armstrong.

It is a cult. Knowing it is a cult does not remove the pain. I weep for my JW relatives. If they had equal access to information, I doubt they would be Witnesses. Some future event might make your bro question and he will recall Armstrong's work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit