How would YOU explain cognitive disonance to a Jehovahs Witness on your doorstep

by smiddy 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mum
    Mum

Last night I watched a TV show called "My Bleeped-up Brain." It dealt with superstition and magic. A lady, by sleight of hand, appeared to turn $1.00 bills into $100.00 bills. A chess board which looked like colors of the squares were contrasting actually had squares of the same color, but the brain was fooled (by use of shadow?) into seeing contrasting colors.

Their conclusion was that we all believe what we WANT to believe, bottom line. We can find "data" or "proof" of anything we wish to think is true.

I might say one sentence to give the dub something to think about, but I don't want to listen to their drivel as they try to justify their wacko beliefs.

• stillin
    stillin

Ok, I have one! Have you ever known somebody who has bought a new car and, even though it's a piece of junk, they would never admit that they got a lousy deal? There's some pride involved, admitting that they were taken, but they also WANT to believe that it is a great car, in spite of the recalls, the discomfort, the complaints of their passengers.

I think that fits. Especially the recalls.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

Mum in Tunisia:

Youy are quite raight. Humans believe wath the want to belive. Their understanding of life makes them a sort of a comfort I sometimes think that it is better for them to stand fast and keep on believing what the they belive. Do we have an alternative? I am an atheist very confirmed in my beliving. But my alternative is death. Can all humans take that?

Bugbear

• adamah
    adamah

The thing that gets often overlooked is that cognitive dissonance is UNCOMFORTABLE, and hence the brain will try any number of possible strategies in order to ameliorate (reduce) the pain of contradiction, eg suppression of thoughts, distractions, rationalizations, etc. These strategies often seemingly work well enough for many to reduce the dissonance, and people WILL forget about the contradiction if they ignore it long enough or accept an explanation as valid (when it really doesn't explain the contradiction; Bible apolegetics exist, NOT because they offer a logical explanation, but because they fill a niche/need).

Adam

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

So much has changed even since I left. I could probably just let them talk and offer shock over the changes in the last couple years !

Its like when you are watching a little brother grow up. You dont really notice all the sublte changes, getting taller, getting adult teeth. But your grandparents only visit every couple years - and yowsers! - they are shocked to see how much he has changed - and yet you live with him so you never really noticed.

• BroMac
    BroMac
    Just going off the point abit but remember that if that picture was taken in 1914 then Jesus meant a child that isn't even on the picture but will be born some time in the future whose life will overlap with the baby shown.

So really this picture was taken in 1914 so there are 5 generations in the picture. The 5th gen comes from the baby who will grow up and have a baby of it's own which will still only be 1 overlapping generation with the original members of the pic taken in 1914. "This is evidently what Jesus meant" even though 3 of the original generations from the picture are no longer alive to meet the babies baby.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit