How would YOU explain cognitive disonance to a Jehovahs Witness on your doorstep

by smiddy 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

Seriously , in plain simple language that the most thick headed JW would understand.

And what examples would you use.

smiddy

• happy@last
    happy@last

Jonestown is an easy example, their behaviour on their last day was as a result of their thinking and the information they were given, it was the easiest option. It was the wrong one but it was cognitive dissonance that lead to mass murder of children and mass suicide.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Discomfort/emotional pain felt when holding two conflicting beleifs in consciousness at the same time.

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/f/dissonance.htm

People tend to seek consistency in their beliefs and perceptions. So what happens when one of our beliefs conflicts with another previously held belief? The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Dead simple:

Politely ask them why they accept as truth, teachings from Brooklyn which are Scripturally false.

When they ask you to provide an example, (and they will!!) ask them -

1) to open their Bible at Revelation 20:1-12 and explain the "new" scrolls teaching to you.

Then you point out that -

a) verse 12 doesn't say the scrolls are new; b) they don't contain wonderful new teachings for the Great Crowd - they contain judgements; c) they don't get opened during the 1000 year reign - they get opened after!

2) If Brooklyn was teaching Bible truths for years, why have they scrapped those 'truths' for contrary teachings, in the July 15th Watchtower 2013?

You could also point out the fact that rejection of either set of these opposite "truths" when current, would result in a person being disfellowshipped. For rejecting falsehoods????????

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

You have been coming to my door and preaching the end of this wicked system for many years.

How do you explain the fact that it hasn't arrived yet?

You keep telling me that the world is full of wicked people and it is getting worse every year and that proves the end is near.

I know many people who do good things for others but none of them want to become Jehovah's Witnesses.

Every time I sit down to watch tv there are adverts for charities that are feeding children in war zones, digging wells in developing countries to provide water and building schools so that people can become educated and work themselves out of poverty.

Not one of these charities is run by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Is you God going to destroy these people because they love helping others or providing the funds to enable theses charities?

Yes your religion is the only one doing the preaching work but where is the thing that is the focus of your message, your paradise earth?

A quick on line search will show you new schools, new wells, innoculated children, housing projects for homeless people.

What can you show me?

If you feel upset at what I am saying could it be because there is a difference between what you are taught to think about people and what is actually happening?

Do you think it is a good idea to ignore reality just because it makes us upset?

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Depends on what time of year! If they come to my house pre Memorial Day, I say Partake or not Partake that is the question to be? Then I smile and state are you sure that partaking is only for the heavenly class? Show me scriptures to prove your point. Can you show me in the bible? Where does it say in the bible about partaking? And where in the bible should we make sure not too partake? When they point to the scripture it is obvios that people should believe in Jesus Christ as the son of God if not do not partake! Very simple. Unlike the Jewish people, do you believe Jesus is the GOD.

Bloggers here knows that I will always bring up a major doctrine! Prove that Jesus is now Michael? Show scriptures. Ask if they believe Jesus is Michael then prayers should end ...Michael Amen! But your praying and acknowleging a past name Jesus who no longer exist and is now Michael the Archangel.

By the way can you explain how Jesus is three diffrent angels other than Michael in Revelation. Jesus in Hebrew proves he is over the angels and not one of them. The reason I walked away!

Most Jehovahs Witnesses just ignore the facts. They teach doctrines without thinkng.

Searcher I like your Rev 20:1-12 good point!

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Searcher This is really good!a) verse 12 doesn't say the scrolls are new; b) they don't contain wonderful new teachings for the Great Crowd - they contain judgements; c) they don't get openedduring the 1000 year reign - they get opened after!

Jehovahs Witnesses think they are bringing in the righteousness during the 1,000 year reign, door to door activity. Yet the only ones worthy of the first resurrection are the 144,000 who are to have thrones to judge the great crowd and others. The great crowd are the second resurrection and are judged after the 1,000 year reign and after the great battle. WT marked the great crowd as righteousness because they took the WT at the door! but are part of the second resurrection and can be judge to second death. Go figure! Ok I suffer from C.D. The more I think about the more I am bothered. I try to stay away from conflicting false truths! It hard enough to have conflicting truths with the bible but how do we deal with CONFLICTING FALSE TRUTHS? LOL This is so good it should be a seprate post.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Sorry one more point! Most thick headed JWs they just will say depend on Jehovah and ignore the conflicting truths! Head in the sand.

• stillin
    stillin

Smiddy: I've been pondering your question for more than an hour, now. These other posters are coming up with some great stuff!

The best I could do was "what's wrong with a little birthday party for my grandson? We won't cut anybody's head off."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Even if your able to explain Cognitive Disonance to a Jehovahs Witness..

You`ll never convince them,it applies to them..

Cognitive Disonance?!!..

1 More Catholic Problem!!..

http://jwsurvey.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/anthony-morris-iii.jpg

........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit