JW internet warnings

by larc 25 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Folks,

Don't they know how dumb their advice turns out to be? You tell a teenager not to go to the internet, and that is the first thing they will do. The WT tells them that they shouldn't go there because they will see naked ladies and people making fun of their religion. Now, what could be more fun than looking at skin and reading stuff that pokes fun of the old fuddy duddies in the religion? Do the GB and the writing staff really believe that they can control this, with their dire warnings?

Common on, cut me a break.

The kids are history.

• Daemia
    Daemia

Good point........

Regards,
    Daemia

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I guess the WBTS needs to get a psychologist on their staff to keep them from publishing stupid rules.

Lizard

• metatron
    metatron

they'll control the old people, which is all that
    matters anymore.

Anybody remember how "banned in Boston" used to sell
    sexy books and movies? Throw in Eve's forbidden fruit
    and you have some idea how stupid they are.

metatron

• anewperson
    anewperson

You say they'll control the "old people" but actually it is death that will do that because right now many of those who converted to being members in the 1970s as a result of the Armageddon scare and the seeming logic of the little blue "Truth" book are baby-boomers going into their 50s, a time when heart attacks and the like begin to take a toll. Their only hope for not vanishing in numbers is to keep getting new converts in particular from Brazil.

• Francois
    Francois

The JW hold on youth was always tenuous at best, as the teens were always regarded as an interesting and somewhat dangerous form of wildlife - literally, regardless of the once a year talks on "Appreciating Our Youth."

FT

• ballistic
    ballistic

I will take your point further and say, why did they not seize the moment and use the internet to advertise advertise advertise the kingdom.

And secondly, why after realising they were wrong to discourage education and careers for their members, do they discourage their members to take part in the next biggest revolution in education and e-business?

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight
    Folks,
    Don't they know how dumb their advice turns out to be? You tell a teenager not to go to the internet, and that is the first thing they will do. The WT tells them that they shouldn't go there because they will see naked ladies and people making fun of their religion. Now, what could be more fun than looking at skin and reading stuff that pokes fun of the old fuddy duddies in the religion? Do the GB and the writing staff really believe that they can control this, with their dire warnings?

Common on, cut me a break.

The kids are history.

Actually, people follow advice. A lot of JWs think the internet is the personal network of Satan himself and perceive no value in it, preferring to think of it as a worthless collection of "worldly wisdom."

There will always be those who ignore the warnings, whose curiosity will get the best of them, or who are simply too open-minded to accept the mantra. This group may even be growing slowly in size. But for now, the majority of witnesses jump on the apostate-bashing bandwaggon at every opportunity, with the internet as a primary target.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

They do not know the meaning of reverse psychology but the ones making WT policies are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• cellomould
    cellomould

I know that was only satire Larc, but it made me laugh friggin' out loud. One serious question, though:

The kids stand to have a more promising future. But since they were constantly told they would amount to nothing if they left...it often turns out that way.

Why?

Parents withdraw their support, watch their kids' lives become miserable, and then say that 'proves Jehovah has withdrawn' from them.

Clearly bulls^*# logic. Don't buy it, folks.

You can do whatever you like. Gather supporters for your goals in life. We all need friends.

It's not an issue of 'having Jehovah' or not, as if you could stick him in your back pocket or rub him for good luck.

cellomould

"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times" Death, Without Judgement

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit