WT November 15, 2013 on jw.org

by Gayle 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Well written article Cedars.

I am partiularly fond of the tacit approval given the elders to name names on those that should be watched out for in the article about obedience to the elders.

"They defend the flock by
    putting their brothers on guard against
    any who might attempt to undermine
    their faith. The apostle Peter warned
    of “false prophets” and “false teachers”

whowould try to “entice unsteady souls

into wrongdoing. (2 Pet. 2:1, 14) Presentday
    elders must give similar warnings
    when necessary. As mature Christian
    men, they have experience in life. Further,
    before being appointed, they demonstrated
    that they had a clear understanding
    of the Scriptures and that they
    were qualified to teach what is healthful.
    (1 Tim. 3:2; Titus 1:9) Their maturity,
    balance, and Bible-based wisdom enable
    them to give skillful direction to the
    flock."

I am not even sure what they are really saying here except if the elders tell you someone is no good......listen to them. I think this paragraph is LOADED way more than people may realize.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Oh man this is a gem too.

"Why did Jehovah have Bible writers
    record accounts of the shortcomings
    of men whom he had commissioned?
    Among other reasons, God did this to
    show that he can use imperfect men
    to lead his people. In fact, he has always
    done so. Hence, we should not use
    the imperfections of those who take the
    lead among us today as an excuse to
    murmur against them or to ignore their
    authority
    . Jehovah expects us to respect
    such brothers and to obey them."

I for the life of me cannot find the transfer of authority from Jesus in the scriptures, to the elders. Anyone else figure out how these guys even according tot eh WTBTS got "authority"?

• Ding
    Ding
    Hence, we should not use the imperfections of those who take the lead among us today as an excuse to murmur against them or to ignore their authority. Jehovah expects us to respect such brothers and to obey them."

Those humble brothers don't seem quite so humble when you realize they are the ones writing this.

If they were honest enough to write it in the first person it would read: "Don't complain when you see all our failures. And don't ignore our authority! Jehovah expects you to respect us and to obey us. Or else!!!"

• sir82
    sir82
    If they were honest enough to write it in the first person it would read:

An interesting exercise, in order to get the real intent of articles like this, is to:

Replace every "we" or "us" with "you"

Replace every "Jehovah" with "the governing body"

Replace "those who take the lead" (or similar) wth "us" or "we".

Thus the real meaning of this statement:

Hence, we should not use the imperfections of those who take the lead among us today as an excuse to murmur against them or to ignore their authority. Jehovah expects us to respect such brothers and to obey them."

is more like this:

Hence, you should not use the imperfections of us today as an excuse to murmur against us or to ignore our authority. The governing body expects you to respect us and to obey us."
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Outlaw: When was the last time a WBT$ JW Assembly had enough money to pay the bills?!!..

Any excess is quickly sent off to Brooklyn to ensure that the Circuit account is back to a zero balance. Or, and artificial "deficit" is created on the first day of an assembly where the Elders vote to send $5000 to the "worldwide work" before any assembly expenses are met, then a call to the rank-and-file to donate generously to cover the deficit.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

That's it!! The Wt. is so afraid of us because we just might stop the money flow. Now I get it. All this time I thought they didn't like us questioning them in their teachings. LOL Totally ADD

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Page 20, Paragraph 17: All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not.

• Londo111
    Londo111

“In the near future, the nations will say ‘Peace and security!’”

Near future:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130304052844AA3l8RW

Basically in the next couple of years, at most. Unless they redefine the term as they do 'generation'.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

“In the near future, the nations will say ‘Peace and security!’”

I was under the impression that warning was issued more than half a century ago.

The Watchtower 1940, August 15, page 251

• steve2
    steve2

In psychological terms, the Watchtower is "innoculating" readers against questioning its authority. The chief ingredient in its anti-questioning compound is Fear - guaranteed to increase the likelihood that even the more intelligent members will not allow themselves to give voice to any doubt. Oh these members will wake up to this quackery, but sadly for many it will be after most of their lives have already been wasted allowing themselves to have such bullsh*t injected into their minds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit