Does your Theology Align with Reality?

by cofty 124 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

holy shit, SBF is still going at it.

Patient: Is my arm broken?

Doctor SBF: Depend on what you mean by arm, depend on what you mean by is, depend on what you mean by broken...

Patient: but you got my X-rays?

SBF: depend on what you mean by got, depend on what you mean by x-rays...

Patient: But i was in an x-ray machine, i just want to know if my arm is broken!

SBF: yes but you see, we are really going to be making a point about epistomology if the arm "IS" broken, and according to my carefull analysis of epistomology, we cant make these sorts of judgements because there is no objective basis to understand if they are true

Patient: But my arm is swollen and hurt like hell! there must be something wrong!

SBF: But that depend on what you mean by hurt, hell, wrong and arm. think about it, your arm may well be a banana, so perhaps you really just ought to buy a new banana

Patient: My arm is not a bloody banana!

SBF: See, you are making a point about epistomology again. what do you mean by banana? how can you say that without carefully defining arm and banana? I really think we need to do that before we continue this conversation and have a look at your arm.

Patient: AAARRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SBF: I can proove my point. Can you try to define what you mean by arm?

Patient: MY ARM! THIS! (points to arm)

SBF: Try to describe it...

Patient: The appendage attached to the right side of my body!!!

SBF: But what do you mean by attached, what do you mean by appendage, what do you mean by body... you see any description is incomplete, so you cant really say what your arm "is", or say its not a banana as you like to claim.

Patient: But I need to have my arm fixed!!! Wont you stop going around in circles and do something you bloody moron!

SBF: Calm down, you are not winning any points by calling names. Instead of doing anything productive, i think we must be carefull to keep being critical about everything except this epistomological game I like to play.

Patient: If you like to play this game, how about you eating some of these (toss a glass of dangerous looking pills) because theres no way to tell they wont fix my arm?

SBF: No. those are dangerous.

Patient: But how do you know that?

SBF: Because i dont play the game when it does not suit me. Now can you define "banana"?

Patient: (runs away)

• prologos
    prologos

If your beliefs are outside the minimum reality as pointed out by cofty, you are living in a dream world.

if you are living in a dream world the result of your works are questionable.

work at it. please.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Bohm that's great. :-)

• designs
    designs

What are the odds you believe in- the earth will be hit by a sizable comet or the Second Coming.

• Laika
    Laika
    Reality is far more exciting, fascinating and satisfying than any supernatural story.

Is this supposed to be an objective truth? Exciting, fascinating and satisfying are subjective feelings...

Perhaps Slim's points aren't entirety relevant to the thread but I don't think they're without merit, i.e to say that the fall didn't happen is an incontrovertible fact depends on what you think humans fell from.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't disagree that evolution appears to be a more satisfactory explanation for life in its various forms than direct creation. It's just the "absolute certainty" of that conclusion I object to. To make such a claim involves so many assumptions in a long chain, each of which must hold, such as: that you have accurately conveyed the academic consensus on the subject; that you have accurately understood the consensus in the first place; that there is what may fairly be described as a consensus; that the consensus is based on the best reading of the evidence; that the evidence is sufficient to warrant the consensus view; that it is impossible that new evidence will emerge to undermine the consensus; that the underlying reality is stable in such a way as to admit of a realistic depiction of its essence; and so on. I reckon you could make a very good case for most if not all the links in that chain, but provide absolute "certainty" for the whole structure? I think it is fair to be skeptical about that. That should not be confused with a claim that "all views have equal merit" or any such nonsense. It is simply a more modest rejection of "absolute certainties" and the closing down of conversations about alternative views.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

bohm you are wrong, my pragmatic response would be more along the lines of:

There are good indications that your arm is broken from x-ray investigation. We cannot be 100% sure but it is reasonable for your treatment to proceed on that basis following established guidelines. However we are open to revising that diagnosis and programme of treatment should new information emerge at a later stage. We are also interested in your input during the the course of treatment to address any concerns and to ensure that the treatment is aimed at your desired outcome.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Lost: Why, when researching and reading these things from science about the earth, man, our origins, evolution, animals etc ... do I often read the words, probably ? possibly ?

Ironically, I see these same words pop up regularly from theists when they run into theological conundrums (usually when Bible stories as recorded make their god look bad).

When Bible stories make no logical sense (Adam and Eve; Noah's Ark, etc.) or are self-contradictory, the theist reverts to 'possibly details were left out', or 'probably the Bible writer was mistaken' or 'possibly god just doesn't feel a need to explain everything'.

Rather than look at words like "possibly" and "probably" in science as a fault worthy of criticism, I think it reveals honesty; when something is not definitive a scientist is comfortable admitting he doesn't know.

Theists can learn something from that.

• adamah
    adamah

Adamah - Do you have a PHd in stating the bloody obvious?

I earned a doctorate in science many decades ago, if that's what you're asking, and have much clinical experience applying all that knowledge to help others.

But based on your improper abbreviation of doctor of science ('PhD': note with letters are capitalized: you got 1/3 correct) allow me to suggest it's likely you don't hold an advanced degree in science, since anyone who HAD done all the hard work required to earn such a degree isn't likely to NOT know the proper abbreviation that designates all the hard work they performed.

NOW, do I KNOW for certain that you don't have a PhD? Of course not: it may be that you mistyped it, or there MAY be different practices used in your region, etc, etc (where etc points to known unknowns). But combined with what you've misrepresented sbout the certainty of science (which is a common misunderstanding held by those who DON'T understand the limits of science), I thinking the odds are greater you haven't engaged in any formalized study of science that led to an advanced degree (I won't embarrass you by asking to answer publicly).

That's the kind of exclusion of other possibilities that I suspect SBF is referring to, where the great tendency of human nature is to dogmatically exclude all the other possibilities in a close-minded manner (a trait that suspiciously smells like exposing one's past drive to join a dogmatic cult, even likely to attain a position of responsibility within the group, where close-mindedness is considered a POSITIVE trait for a JW, defined as "protecting one's faith" by Paul).

Of course there are no sacred cows in science, of course we must follow the evidence wherever it leads, and there is no place for dogma in science.

That's what I was objecting to: you seemingly misrepresent science as possessing a level of certainty about the physical World by using phrases (such as "incontrovertable facts", as if some ideas are above being tested or challenged) which simply isn't true. In my eyes, you might as well be claiming there is a God who KNOWS everything, since the reality is science is NOT omniscient, and doesn't even claim to be.

But this is not a thread about the philosophy of science despite SBFs best efforts to derail it. If it was a thread about the philosophy of science I would have used much more careful language.

Well, you could've fooled me and the others then.

Perhaps I misread the topic (and am not a mind-reader), but you're asking others to compare their theologicial-based beliefs against a science-based belief system, and that falls squarely into the domain of philosophy of beliefs, comparing the philosophy of religion to philosophy of science.

With an abundance of evidence science shows that humans evolved from non-human ancestors over millions of years. Evengelicals continue to insisist that we descended from a first created pair 6000 years ago.

In this context SBF insists there is no such thing as a fact.

My point in posting was to clarify that the commonalities are greater than the differences. You are taking an extreme position that isn't backed by FACTS, and he's taking the other extreme (likely to get you to see the fallacy of your approach to make a valid point). We all agree on the endpoint/conclusion, it's just a matter of how one GETS to that conclusion.

Cofty said-

What came first, the chicken or the egg. - Egg

And that's a conclusion stated as if it's backed by science?

Anyone who understands the evolutionary theory (eg definition of 'species', etc) recognizes it's a malformed question, where just because a question can be phrased in fashion that doesn't violate the rules of proper grammar and logic doesn't mean an answer exists! To suggest anything otherwise (either 'chicken' OR 'egg') suggests someone who doesn't understand the inherent uncertainty of the science, and suggests someone who seeks absolute answers to questions which cannot be had (seemingly thinking science offers a knife that 'cuts' with a much-greater precision than it does, when it just doesn't possess and CANNOT possess, due to current limits).

(It's OT to this thread, but I'm willing to explain why it's a malformed question without a simple answer in another thread.)

There's an old saying, "fools rush in where angels fear to tread". The problem with the expression of course is that angels aren't proven to exist, either, LOL! But putting that aside, it contains certain truths.

Now sure, many doctors WILL use the word "fact" as a short-hand used when communicating with patients, since most people are suckers for falling for the claims of some scammer who professes to KNOW an absolute when they don't, vs someone who couches the honest and truthful answer with room for uncertainties (where NO absolutes exist, with TOTAL certainty). So people usually fall victim to the former's braggadocios claim of certainty.

That false certainty is depicted in Eric Hovind's approach to debating Thunderfoot, where Eric tries to exploit a scientist's honest disclosure of their lack of ABSOLUTE certainty, in order to conclude that believing in God is BETTER, that he KNOWS God exists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGjaEMP8ACU

(there's a full video on the encounter on Thunderfoot's YouTube page, if you're a masochist for torture.)

IMO, Thunderfoot gets a bit too esoteric for Eric (who's clearly never taken a philosophy course before, or at least didn't learn anything), as Thunderfoot fails to connect on his level by not explaining in terms Eric can grasp. Eric wants to engage in pseudo-intellectual babble in a futile effort to prove God exists, where he asks Thunderfoot a series of silly malformed questions designed only to make him look weak on camera to believers, based on his dubious claim of possessing ABSOLUTE knowledge handed down from God. Instead, Eric only looks the fool who cannot grasp the basic difference between 'assumptions' and 'knowledge' claims. Thunderfoot runs a 'retard count' on his same footage, which only makes him appear as arrogant and childish, IMO.)

Creationists seemingly doesn't understand the language of science is STATISTICAL ANALYSIS, a method that determines only the LIKELIHOOD of a claim based on PROBABILITIES (where p=1 is almost NEVER achieved, except by randomness). Instead of waiting for absolutes, the certainty required to act on a claim is gauged by relying on 'confidence intervals', a calculation that determines the PROBABILITY of an outcome being not just due to random chance, but how tightly the outcome is correlated with the proposed cause. It's WHY scientists run 'best-fit' calculations to interpret the data, not looking for ABSOLUTE certainty, but the best-fitting model that explains the observations.

Underneath all of that remains a HUGE asterisk of making no claim to certainty, a YMMV statement, and is overlooked by many non-scientists (or those who seek to turn science into a religion, which it most defininitely is NOT).

Adam

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

When theists do that AndDontCallMeShirley, the last people to give them credit for it are atheists in my experience. I speak from experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit