Does your Theology Align with Reality?

by cofty 124 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Materialism is similarly circular. One assumes that material causation explains all that happens and our origins, and lo and behold one finds evidence for nothing else.

Cofty I just finished watching this excellent lecture delivered by Rorty that relates directly to this problem about how believers can reconcile their beliefs with science. He gives the example of a Catholic scientist who works during the week using the assumption that the world arises and works without the intervention of a deity. Yet on Sunday she goes to church and worships God. The question Rorty asks is: is such a person being intellectually honest or responsible? His answer to the problem I find fascinating. If you have got the time I would be really interested to hear what you think.

http://youtu.be/EjhVk-0Vhmk

• cofty
    cofty
    One assumes that material causation explains all that happens and our origins, and lo and behold one finds evidence for nothing else.

Yeah scientists publish thousands of papers every year explaining their methods and results because "lo and behold".

Methodological naturalism is the foundation of science. What a scientist does on a Sunday is irrelevant as long as he leaves god outside the lab. Some play golf, some sing hymns and recite Latin phrases.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Is that a no then? Okay.

• cofty
    cofty

Its an hour and a quarter long. I'm off out. Why don't you summarise the interesting bits?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I'm off out too, Maryhill here I come.

I have tried summarising the ideas many times apparently without success. That's why I suggest you could take a look for yourself. Plus I am really interested what your take would be if exposed to an extended argument on these lines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit