Fading hurts so much!!

by ILoveTTATT 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    ...I can introduce little seeds of cognitive dissonance...

I guarantee your remarks are received well enough at the time, maybe with a few nods of agreement, but the dubs don't remember anything against their precious cult by the time they finish the meeting.

Without being able to directly point out your discovered contradiction, they forget and it's just good for your own brain to point these things out.

So, having said that, keep looking for your solution. When we are young, we think things last forever. But they don't. Soon, you will be completely out of your situation and able to do things completely different.

• adamah
    adamah

And to add onto OTWO's and others excellent advice:

Since everyone's life situation is completely different, it's hard to give any exact answers as to whether to yank the bandage off quickly is the best method or not. Just remember that all of our lifetimes are finite, and every day you delay in making a move away is just another day wasted in contributing to the lie that hinders so many; your mere presence in the KH is sending a tacit message to everyone who still is in, trapped by their own fears. People can engage in such reverse-witnessing strategies, etc, but if they really MEANT it, they'd vote not with their subtle voicing of doubts but with their own TWO FEET!

The problem is NOT one of lacking sufficient KNOWLEDGE to make a decision, but lacking the COMMITMENT to act: it's called 'paralysis of analysis', and JWs are especially prone to it, since they're actively discouraged from making independent decisions by repeatedly being told their decision-making skills are inherently flawed, and not to be trusted. Hence they fall prone to never deciding, and over-analyzing.

That's why if not done today(!), faders would be well-advised to PROACTIVELY develop an exit strategy that they're willing to commit in writing, with a specific action plan for exiting the Society (eg relocating, etc). Some wait to decide until AFTER they've been exposed as apostates or faders, and then they're forced to DEFEND themselves so it potentially becomes a REACTIVE exit from the WT, and not being conducted on YOUR TERMS, YOUR TIME FRAME, but after being forced out. That scenario is somewhat not as ideal, since it tends to rob the decision of the personal empowerment it should imbue to the individual if it's made under their own steam. (i.e. it's better to "beat them to the punch")

Of course, human nature is to say, "well, I'll get around to leaving the WT, just after X occurs" and then fail to take action to achieve X, or by creating a series of "just after Xs" excuses whenever a new X appears.

Adam

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

ILoveTTATT, My husband and i were like some of the others in here where once we learned the real truth we just faded and never went into the KH again because we couldn't listen to their lies. I was so angry that if I would have been at the meetings I would have blown a gasket and probably opened my mouth and caused problems for myself. We also switched KH (we had been going out of the territory for years and got so tired of the drive) right when I had just started to read the books and we only went to one meeting there and then faded. We have had a couple of phone calls and knocks on the door because we knew most in that congregation but we also know that we have noting in common any longer and the friendship ended for us when we found out the real truth. I feel bad for those that have to continue to go to the meetings after they find out what the real truth is and ones that have to remain very active because they will lose their family if they quit.

I read yesterday where someone takes their IPad or whatever is comparable, to the meetings and they read things they are interested in. Some congregations have a lot of publishers that use these during the meetings but the congregations I have been in recently do not do that, so if yours is the type where you can do it then why not use that time to read the things you want to.

I hope you are able to find a job in another area because that will help you so much. We live half way across the country and his family didn't even have to know that we faded but his Mom kept asking if we were going to the meetings and hubby finally told her no and why. We also knew she wouldn't shun him because he is all she has now. His brother was DFed when he died and she continued to talk to him and her husband has been dead for many years. He was always her favorite but the relationship has changed which he likes because they don't talk about the meetings any longer.

Keep on the course of your fade and any time you need some help we are here for you. It is good you are reading everything you can get your hands on because you need to find out all of the lies and terrible things they are doing to people so you will have no doubts. I would then suggest you read some good positive thinking books to help with your healing process too. One is called The Slight Edge and another one is called The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself and The Road Less Traveled. My husband has read all of these and read them twice and it has really changed his attitude. These books will help you be successful in life and get the negative thinking out of your head which is what we were taught all of those years.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I think most on this board can sympathize with your feelings and situation. I would like to address a portion of your post, you mentioned that you sometimes just want to say, "....Apparent contradiction. EVIL APOSTATES would say that."

In the DC part about "Human Apostates," the brother was very careful to specify the difference between "doubters" and "apostates." For him, it was all about tone. The viewpoint that apostates desire someone to follow them is the crux of the organization's argument. Many people are leaving, enticed but what they have read or seen. Others, however, are simply falling by the wayside. They are mentally checking out because it just doesn't make any sense. Some leave and make a scene, others leave and no one knows why...and interestingly, no one particularly cares to ask.

For one, I have never heard as much commotion regarding an adjustment in teaching as I have heard about the FDS change. Old timers are concerned. They recall the 1981 article about the "objectors." They remember the attack against those that were "not of our sort" that had the audacity to question doctrine and the hierarchical structure of the organization. Now, they see that the same belief that was categorically dismissed as arising from objectors, namely, the identity of the FDS being classified as the worldwide remnant of anointed...a class.

That same objection is now the standing doctrine. There is no "class." There is only the GB.

This, unfortunately, is hard for many to swallow and the organization is experiencing the blowback. Therefore, the need to define the difference between a "doubter" and an "apostate." Afterall, you can't have a CO or DO speaking to his fellow CO's or DO's or even members of the Writing Committee and questioning things be labeled as an apostate can you?

So, when you find it hard to swallow something, it may be best to speak in terms of doubt or don't speak at all. You would be surprised how many old timers are doing the same thing.

SOP

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Adamah:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Thursday is my first meeting that I will miss. Excuse: sick.

What I will really be doing: watching a movie. =)

Ask me on Thursday.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

It gets better as soon as you stop attending :) I decided we'd go to the Memorial and then I went to the Special Talk at another hall. My teen a daughter hasn't been all year. No one has even checked on us, except to ask for our time a few months ago. It may hurt you now, but the sooner you accept "the friends" are only friends with your belief system, the sooner you'll let grand move on.

adamah, your comment explained so much to me about my family dynamics. Thank you so so much. Paralysis of analysis - love it.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Thank you all for your comments!

I am slowly fading... I didn't go to either meeting this week...

I need to get a job!! I have interviews... so wish me luck!!

ILTTATT

• satinka
    satinka

ITTATT

The more emotional distance you can put between you and the religion, the better you will feel.

The ability to distance yourself is part of the healing process.

The more distance you gain, the healthier you will feel. Just remember any guilt you feel is part of religious conditioning, it has nothing to do with your spirituality. Spirituality and Religion are very separate things. Leaving the religion doesn't mean you left your spiritual nature, which is inherently built into you. The guilt will ease with time plus your growing awareness of the religion's false face.

Keep your plans to yourself because within the silence lies your power. You are safe to share your feelings on this forum, but not a good idea at the KH.

Love and best wishes for a successful exit!

satinka

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

RE: Fading hurts so much!!<<

New Yaughts!! We Just Love This Idea!!

• satinka
    satinka

Good wishes on those job interviews! Let us know how it goes!

satinka

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit