Divided By A Common Language

by Quendi 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Quendi
    Quendi

I can thank steve2 (as well as Oscar Wilde) for inspiring this thread. I have traveled in Canada, England, Ireland and South Africa. I have friends who hail from New Zealand and have also met people from Australia. The differences in the accents among people from these countries have always been very striking to me. While in South Africa, I was pleasantly surprised to find that nobody had any trouble understanding my speech and conversely, I had no trouble understanding their English. The challenges arose with different colloquial expressions that would arise on both sides of a conversation, but that was to be expected. I’d be interested in others’ experiences speaking English with people from different lands and cultures.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

okay, I'll try to stir a little interest in this thread by bumping it.

Quendi

• *lost*
    *lost*

Hey there.

what part of Ireland, when, and how did you find it ?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, when talking to Americans in America I had to ask what a lot of their expression meant. For instance, a waiter comes up to me at a diner and says, "Would you like a warm up?" referring to my coffee. My first thought was, what the? My cup was empty so there was nothing to put in the microwave to warm, and why would she offer to reheat my coffee? So I asked her what she meant, and she meant a refill! Little things like that make travelling even in other English speaking countries so interesting.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

I used the generic fictional name "Joe Shmoe" today in conversation with an Indian co-worker (I work in IT). Context was that I was describing a hypothetical situation.

She was like wuttttt?? LOL

Julia, I've lived in the US all of my life and I've never heard anybody refer to a coffee refill as a "warmup".

• LogCon
    LogCon
    I've never heard anybody refer to a coffee refill as a "warmup"

Very common in Vancouver, B.C. for decades and decades.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I drove across Ireland from Dublin to the Dingle Peninsula. I spent five days there and can’t wait to go back! I saw Callan, Cashel and Tipperrary, among other places.

Quendi

• *lost*
    *lost*

The Irish are a very complex, tribal race.

different areas have different types of Gaelige.

The S East, and it's peoples are very different to those in the west.

They are very socio - political.

I love how they have a strong sense of 'community', true 'christians' if you like.

And for all they have suffered, they are not a bitter race.

It is a very corrupt country though.

• Quendi
    Quendi

My trip to the Emerald Isle caused me to fall in love with the land and its people. I will share one of the host of great experiences I had there. We had stopped in Callan because the timing belt on our rental car had broken and we were awaiting a replacement vehicle which was being sent from Limerick. During our delay, I went shopping and got into a conversation with one of the local businessmen.

On seeing me, he gave me the typical Irish 100-megawatt smile. But it was what he said during the course of our talk that really tied the knot between me and Ireland.

Noting that I am a black American he said, “I have always admired your people and am glad to have finally met one. We have so much in common.”

I was astounded by his statement and replied, “Excuse me. What possible connection could there be between your people and mine, between our ancestors, even? What would you know or even understand about the sufferings my people endured under slavery and the horrible Jim Crow laws and the segregation they imposed after slavery was abolished?”

“Ah, lad,” he answered with a sad smile. “You don’t understand. We Irish were slaves in our own country. You don’t know how cruel English rule was here, how much we suffered. In every conceivable way, it was the same as what your people went through in America. That is the link between your people and mine, and many of us here are conscious of it.”

The conversation went further and deeper and when it ended, I had a better understanding of Ireland’s complex history than I ever had before. Let me suffice to say that I can’t wait to return. Next time, though, I plan to drive around the perimeter of the island, along its wild and fabled coastline, as well as seeing its villages, towns and cities, and most of all, its wonderful people.

Quendi

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Quendi ever travel in Newfoundland? Its like a different language there. Some of the worlds nicest people and thier not to bad when your talking to them one on one, but when you get abunch of them together you need a translater.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit