New method to burglarize your car...

by Glander 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

The crooks have come up with a scanner that reads your keychain remote locking code. When you walk away from your car and lock the doors theives sitting nearby capture the code and can then unlock your car while you are shopping.

Lock your car the old fashioned way, with the lock button before closing the door.

• besty
    besty

Variants of this bullshit have been circulating for a long time now.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

So while "the crooks have come up with a scanner" the people who post this shit never come up with a verifiably referenced example.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

....meanwhile, a friend of mine had an 07 BMW 535d that was paid for, thieves sprayed wd40 into the only key hole on the drivers door, emptied the whole can in. The cars alarm thought it was submersed in water, and all the doors opened and alarms switched off. They dragged the car onto a low loader. Probably somewhere in the EU by now....

• laverite
    laverite

Gone Awol,

How do they know how the thieves got it (e.g. wd40) if the car was hauled away and is long gone? Kind of curious about that.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Good question Laverite. especially if the car is still missin' and probably somewhere in the EU

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Modern keyless entry systems employ what is called a "Rolling Code". It has been in use for quite some time in cars garage doors, etc.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

Source? I see a pattern developing in your posts Glander. Haven't you been called out for not providing sources for some of your more dubious claims?

Did you hear this from a friend who heard it from their cousin who heard it from a coworker who posted it on Facebook?

• Glander
    Glander

Haven't you been called out for not providing sources for some of your more dubious claims?

No more than you have.

I was told this the first time yesterday and thought it sounded possible, even plausable.

If it's not true then I apologize to all the people whose lives I have destroyed.

• Simon
    Simon

It's going to be one of those things where manufacturers have a vested interest in rubbishing any claims of vulnerabilities.

Hackers have demonstrated an ability to get into ATMs and power stations ... I doubt a family car is really that secure. Mazdas could be opened with a puctured tennis ball a couple of years back ... it's not an outrageous claim.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Same with remote garage door openers, this has been happening for years.

There will always be criminals with the technical knowledge and know how to override systems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit