Something odd just happened when I logged on!

by tornapart 78 Replies latest forum tech-support

• tornapart
    tornapart

Now I'm 'AnnOMaly'... hahah Think we can have some fun with this...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

So far, I'm always Vidiot.

I can't tell you all what a relief it is.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I've left it a while to post - just refreshing/clicking on 'active topics' - lots of names. Not logged in or out. It must be something to do with who is browsing active topics at the same time.

I'm tornapart now.

• caliber
    caliber

I feel sooooo ..... bi-polar !!!

• Simon
    Simon

So, I was just checking a few things on the site and found the "OutputCache" settings were disabled.

"Hmmn, that's strange", I thought, "What the hell was I thinking leaving that disabled? I will enable it immediately ..."

For those who don't know what output caching is, it means that the rendered version of a page is cached and can be served for other matching requests instead of having to hit the database and re-build the entire page each time. It really does make things faster and would be perfect ... if people's signed-in username didn't appear at the top of the page !

So yes, whoever happened to view the page when the cache expired and the page was re-generated (every 30 seconds) would then appear for everyone else requesting the same page for the next 30 seconds.

There are no security implications - the permissions are checked separately to the caching and the only pages that were being cached were the public ones (active topics, subject views etc...) so the issue is really just cosmetic (it shows the wrong username).

Sorry for the confusion, my dumb mistake ... "normal service will be resumed shortly" as Basil Fawlty would say :)

• laverite
    laverite

Wow. Interesting, Simon. Thanks for the info!

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

It was fun while it lasted.

Bangalore

• tornapart
    tornapart

Bangalore.. I was just thinking the same thing... LOL (after the initial surprise) Thanks for explaining it Simon..

• bigmac
    bigmac

it might be the demunz

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Ohh, so that's what happened *nods, pretending to know what you were talking about* Thanks for the explanation, Simon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit