Your Baptism

by Aunt Fancy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Aunt Fancy, I was in attendance at your baptism in 1986 at Astrodome.

• JWOP
    JWOP

The KH I grew up in had its own built-in baptismal pool in the basement. It was used up until around 1991'ish, when an Assembly Hall was constructed. Then the KH pool was removed because the AH had its own.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Wow Zadok, that was the year I was born. You have seen a lot and much has changed! Jake that was a nice place for the DC maybe we have crossed paths!

JWOP I have never heard of a KH with a baptismal pool.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I don't remember much of anything about my baptism. I used to have it written down on something... but that has long gone - probably to the dumpster.

I know it was in Ingram, TX at a private home in February - or one of those colder months. The assy was in Kerrville. I don't remember much else about it.

JWOP I have never heard of a KH with a baptismal pool.

Well, they used to make all KH's (or most of the older ones) with those behind the stage. The local Harlandale KH had one. Most people didn't know about it, they didn't publicize it too much.

I remember an Assy locally - I think that it must've been a District one, that was held downtown at the San Antonio Convention Center Arena (before they demolished it). It was probably around 1977-ish. I believe that I was driving my 'new' 1972 Chrysler New Yorker. That thing could drink the gas! (But it looked soooo cool!)

Anyway, I got on the list somehow to drive some of the baptizees to the baptism 'pool' that was at the Harlandale kh. I got 2 or 3 to ride with me, and it was like a funeral procession going the few miles from downtown to just south of downtown to the kh.

I _do_ remember that baptism... there was a young gal that I was sweet on that was getting baptized there. She didn't ride in my car, but I knew her through my sister who was teaching sign language - and she was a 'pupil'. (I don't remember her name anymore... it has gone like so many other things)

So - she was in line to get dipped, and I noticed that she forgot to take the pretty white bow out of her hair. I motioned to her, pointing to her bow, and she remembered - and took it off - so it wouldn't get wet.

She never knew I liked her - I think she had eyes for some other feller.

The ride back to the assy site was just me in my car. Everyone else had family, or friends take them back.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Jim, I will ask hubby about that too since that was some of his stomping grounds. I know the KH's we were in on the NE side of the town didn't have them but they were a little newer. Things were much different back then.

• Honesty
    Honesty

wasblind, you just don't know what you missed by not getting baptised.

Congratulations on being too smart to get dunked.

Personally, I got rebaptised as a Christian after I left the cult.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thank You Clarity, Aunt Fancy and Honesty

I live in what once was a highly productive state in the Textile industry

People made good lives for themselves, They built homes and sent their kids to college

went on vacations and retired through these jobs

Times have changed, and those jobs have relocated else where in the world

I had always planned that my duaghter would attend a university because of these changes

The sister who conducted my Bible study tried her level best to convince

me otherwise

She gave me the " Goin' to college is like applyin' for a company that's goin' outta business " spin

She brought an elder over to try and convince me to stop my daughter from bein' involved in school activities

the prom and such, no need to make lastin' memories in this lifetime

because time would be better spent preachin' the "Troof" that as of this day is no longer true

Yes, the WTS wanted me to destroy my childs life for a bunch of lies

they tried to make me feel guilty for havin' love for my child and wantin' to make her happy

Yes, through their so called harmless Bible study

they tried to take away the joy that bein' a mother can bring

what use to be fun decisions now became a choice

and a guilt trip between Jehovah and My daughter

Guilt trips became a way of life, I now see that each time that sister came for a study

it was in fact a guilt session to stop me from bein' happy because only persecution

and long sufferin' was the way to get into a kingdom

YEA, DON"T BUY GREEN BANANA'S. THE END IS COMIN' SOOOON................. DON'T BLINK, YOU'LL MISS IT !!!!

CLOSER THAN YOUR EYE BALL .

Well I'll be damned, you could pluck your eye out, won't miss nothin'

cuz it won't be here when they SAID it would

If I made decisions that would benefit my child

that meant I was unworthy of Gods love, becuase I refuse to suffer

and cause my child to suffer

Consider me unworthy if they must, But I refuse to and will not sacrifice my child

to false prophets

A poster gotta be dumb as hell to come on board and ask why are folks so angry

I would love to know what they smokin' that takes the edge off. I need some

The only thing that helps me to forgive myself for exceptin' that

false pretense of a Bible study

Is I keep tellin myself, I did what I thought was best

and when I learned better , I did better

I got the heck outta Dodge

And that's one of the reasons I refused to go in that pool and swim wit sharks

Thanks for allowin' me to vent

I have Exhaled...........................

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Wasblind, I am sure your daughter is VERY THANKFUL that you sent her to college and that you never got baptized which was very wise of you. I understand the anger because I struggle with it. I try not to let it take over but sometimes it spills out because I lost 30 years to it.

I understand what you did for her because I grew up in the NE and the area I grew up in was once very wealthy with many oil refineries but they are long gone and most of my classmates moved away after HS. I am thankful I was not a born in so I had a very normal and happy childhood and I have drawn on it to help me get back to a better place.

Many people are thoughtless when they say things like that. Some going through shunning from family members have a lot of heartbreak and they have every right in the world to be angry. It isn't normal at all to treat your fellow man this way.

Wasblind, did you grow up in the religion or did someone find you at the door?

• stillin
    stillin

I think it's called " buyers' remorse."

i always was made to feel a little guilt because I never memorized the exact date of my baptism. Like as though it was my wedding anniversary or something. If Jehovah was watching, HE knows so what's the big deal?

I was excited, I believed, I was baptized.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

You are right, I am sure most of us have buyers remorse!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit