New York Tourist Crap Highlights The Watchtower buildings in Brooklyn

by steve2 13 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Well I'm a day shy of having spent one week in New York - my first time. What a dazzlingly vibrant and noisy city - one that never sleeps. New Yorkers rightly proclaim this metropolis as one of a kind. I can think of no other like New York. As any decent first time visitors do, we linked up with the hop-on, hop-off tours and got a concentrated overview of the Big Apple, along with guided commentary which included ferry around Staten Island and bus tour on different days. The ferry was at night so the New York skyline was starkly displayed via well lit skyscrapers. Off to the left on departure - and right, on return - was the prominently lit sign atop the Watchtower buildings "The Watchtower" - the guide twice drew passengers attention to it, emphasizing this is the "home place" of one of America's best known exports, Jehovah's Witnesses. There were titters among us passengers, as all necks cranned to take in the buildings that trumpeted the "birthplace" of the religion since 1876. The guide added, "But I guess we won't be welcome if we knock on their door tonight!" which drew uncomfortable laughs from passengers. The next day on the bus as it zoomed around lower Manhattan and "the Battery", our loquaciously opinionated guide asked out loud to the crammed busfull of over-stimulated tourists, "Any Jehovah's Witnesses on board?" No one answered. She then proceeded to give a brief history of the Watchtower, informing us that the organization is set to rake in millions upon millions from the sale of the Watchtower buildings so "they can move upstate". She then added, "This is New York's contribution to the great religions of the world" - evidently mouthed without a trace of irony or sarcasm. Even my athiestic partner said to me in an undertone, "If I didn't know any better, I'd think your old religion's put its hands in its pocket to get all this free publicity!"

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You may think that New York never sleeps. But New Yorkers get real sleepy sometimes. I am going to take a nap. Interesting comments from the tour guide. I did not think anyone paid any attention to this so-called religion. - especially New Yorkers.

• Laika
    Laika

New York is ok, but London is still the best city in the world.

• cantleave
    cantleave

New York is ok, but London is still the best city in the world.

Hmmmm!! Give me NYC over London anyday.

• Listener
    Listener

" informing us that the organization is set to rake in millions upon millions from the sale of the Watchtower buildings so "they can move upstate". "

It just doesn't sound like a christian witness that they should be proud of.

• Bells
    Bells

My husband and I will be visiting New York for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year - it will be our first visit, very excited! Was NOT planning on visiting WT 'head office' that's for sure!!!!

We will be staying in Midtown for the first 3 days (The Plaza just for the novelty) and then in Lower East Side for 10 nights.

Anyone have any 'must sees and dos?'??

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

So, does the Watchtower Society allow the general public "worldly people" to tour Bethel?

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Bells - You're staying at the Plaza for a few days . . . WOW !! It was bought about ten or more years ago by some gazillionaire from Iran or Egypt that tried to turn it into a residential setting, but I don' t think that went to well, earlier this year, when they were doing renovations, instead of the usual scaffolding you see around the city, THe Plaza had scaffolding around it that looked like you were looking at the actual hotel with the imprint of the hotel with windows on the scaffolding. . . now that's fancy, even the scafffolding that's been around St Patrick's Cathedral for more than five years isn't that fancy!!

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Spendy but lovely restaurant: Scarpetta 355 W 14th St.

Grimaldi's in Brooklyn Heights (yes, you will see a ton of dubs, but trust me, it is worth the sacrifice). Great pizza--get there early and prepare to stand in line.

Ninja New York is a fabulous food experience. Even if you just go for drinks, it is worth a trip to their bathrooms (featured on the Travel Channel).

Shopping: Century 21 and of course Saks Fifth Avenue. If you are a make up junkie like I am, hit up Sephora.

Wicked is an awesome musical to see while you are there.

I am envious of your plans--hope you have a blast!

• Bells
    Bells

Eeeeek thanks! I am getting excited just thinking about it.

The count down is on - 134 sleeps to go! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit