Why do Jesus lovers accept the OT as god given.

by mP 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

mP: Jesus never went to prison.

Really? And when they arrested him, where do you suppose they took him? Where do you think they beat him and tortured him? One great thing about you, mP, is that you’re not afraid to say the first thing that pops into your mind, apparently without giving it much thought.

mP: Jesus spoke at his trial. One famous example being when he was asked is he the king of the Jews and he replied you said it etc. Another fail.

He answered Herod, who was appointed king over the land. But when he was dragged before Pilate, Jesus “opened not his mouth.” Pilate was the one who ordered his death at the insistence of the Jewish people. Not only did Isaiah predict the Messiah’s rejection by the Jews, but Zechariah also referenced it, when he wrote of Christ’s return. “And they shall look upon me whom they have pierced,” Yahweh says. And when the Jews shall see him, one shall say, “What are these wounds in thy hands?” And the Messiah will reply, “These are the wounds I received in the house of my friends.” (Zech. 13:6)

Even though the Romans technically killed him, Jesus pleaded for their forgiveness, for “they know not what they do.” The Jews, however, knew exactly what they were doing and did not partake in that forgiveness. At the end of the battle of Armageddon, Jesus appears to the Jews, who will instantly recognize him as the one their fathers killed.

Zechariah 12:10: And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

So again, you are wrong.

mP: You are actually wrong, because Paul in Philemon tells the run away slave (sorry cant recall his name, its starts with O) to return to his master. P never condemns the master etc. You have just made that statement up.

It becomes a waste of time to try to educate you here, but Onesimus (the slave) not only ran away from Philemon, he took a substantial part of his master’s money with him. Also, under the Mosaic Law, servitude was quite different than it was with slavery under Rome, and though Onesimus was most likely legally a slave under Roman law, he also enjoyed the restrictions the law of God imposed.

So what do we know of Onesimus? In what way did he come to serve Philemon? Was he indentured? Jesus never railed against slavery, again, because it was not his mission. The Atonement freed both freed and slave from the wages of sin, and though the Christian philosophy was opposed in principle to forced servitude (unless it was part of a restorative judgment, or agreement), it would have been dangerous to both the church and its leaders to come out vocally against the practice, since it was one of the pillars of Roman culture.

In short, we know nothing at all except that Onesimus took advantage of his master’s absence to rob him and make his escape. Then, under Paul’s tutelage, Onesimus was converted to Christianity. Paul, wanting to mend the relationship between Philemon and Onesimus, explained that what Onesimus did was wrong, but that he had been converted to Christianity. Paul said he had grown to love the young man and that their common love of Christ would, he hoped, increase their love for each other and urged forgiveness and reconciliation.

This is hardly a fellow who was working in the salt mines of Thessaly. And we know nothing of the situation other than the brief reference in scripture. Under Jewish law, people didn’t own each other. Interestingly, Paul wrote to Philemon: “For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him forever; not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord? If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself. If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account....”

Does this sound like slavery or a son who has run away from his father? And is Paul condoning the principle of slavery or is he speaking of reconciliation?

• mP
    mP

ColdSteel

mP: Jesus never went to prison.

COLD:

Really? And when they arrested him, where do you suppose they took him? Where do you think they beat him and tortured him? One great thing about you, mP, is that you’re not afraid to say the first thing that pops into your mind, apparently without giving it much thought.

mP:

Theres a big difference between being placed in custody and prison. When police arrest you today, you are placed in custody not prison. Prison is where you serve your sentence. Jesus was crucified straight after the trial so he never had a prison sentence. However the trial and crucifiction happened in less than a day and all in the matter of hours. The bible doesnt mention prison and it seems that straight after the trial jesus was taken outside Jerusalem and nailed to the cross/tree/whatever.

Of course if im wrong show us the timeline and when he was in prison.

• mP
    mP

mP: You are actually wrong, because Paul in Philemon tells the run away slave (sorry cant recall his name, its starts with O) to return to his master. P never condemns the master etc. You have just made that statement up.

COLD

It becomes a waste of time to try to educate you here, but Onesimus (the slave) not only ran away from Philemon, he took a substantial part of his master’s money with him.

MP:

YOur a fat liar, you said in this thread that xians were not allowed to have slaves even after knowing that is not true. A slave is a slave, dont play silly word games.

COLD:

Also, under the Mosaic Law, servitude was quite different than it was with slavery under Rome, and though Onesimus was most likely legally a slave under Roman law, he also enjoyed the restrictions the law of God imposed.

MP:

Masters can beat their slaves...

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Slaves can be raped...

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Want to apologise ?

• mP
    mP

mP: Jesus spoke at his trial. One famous example being when he was asked is he the king of the Jews and he replied you said it etc. Another fail.

COLD:

He answered Herod, who was appointed king over the land. But when he was dragged before Pilate, Jesus “opened not his mouth.” Pilate was the one who ordered his death at the insistence of the Jewish people

mP:

That doesnt change the fact you gave a prophecy that says the messiah would be silent. repeating the story back to us does not change the fact the propehcy failed.

FAIL X2

• mP
    mP

Cold:

Even though the Romans technically killed him, Jesus pleaded for their forgiveness, for “they know not what they do.”

mP:

The Romans didnt technically kill him, they did kill him. They are the law, all judicial actions are theirs alone.

COLD:

The Jews, however, knew exactly what they were doing and did not partake in that forgiveness. At the end of the battle of Armageddon, Jesus appears to the Jews, who will instantly recognize him as the one their fathers killed.

MP:

How can you possibly blame a jewish family on the other side of the country for jesus death ? They prolly never heard of him and they certainly were not there at the trial asking for his death. That idea of blood guilt is pathetic and stupid. I suppose we should also hang you or me because some ancestor stole a chicken a thousand years ago.

• mP
    mP

COLD:

Zechariah 12:10: And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

mP: How is this pointing to jesus. it doesnt say "god" or use his name or title ? Surely if god meant jesus he would say jesus.

• mP
    mP

COLD:

This is hardly a fellow who was working in the salt mines of Thessaly. And we know nothing of the situation other than the brief reference in scripture. Under Jewish law, people didn’t own each other. Interestingly, Paul wrote to Philemon: “For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him forever; not now as a servant, but above a servant , a brother beloved , specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh , and in the Lord ? If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself . If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account....”

mP:

No matter what you say, the master was an arsehole. In fact he was such an arsehole the slave ran away. If anybody repeated the masters actions today he would be condemned and sent to prison. Thank you Paul & Jesus.

• mP
    mP

COLD:

Paul said he had grown to love the young man and that their common love of Christ would, he hoped, increase their love for each other and urged forgiveness and reconciliation.

mP:

SO why didnt Paul ask for his freedom ? Paul was an areshole. Anybody who supports slavery is an arsehole, plain and simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit