Why do Jesus lovers accept the OT as god given.

by mP 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mP
    mP

Given the OT has a lot of cruelties, hatred and so on, surely the fact these attributes, saying and actions far outweigh the supposed love of Jesus why dont they say its all fake and throw it out ?

Like what Marcion did. Wouldnt it be easier to simply delete the OT and move on ?

• designs
    designs

One of those great conumdrums- God of the OT bad, God of the NT good

Paul and the other writers quote from and misapply OT texts to support their idea of who the Messiah should be.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

It's kinda hard to do when Jesus legitimized it all by quoting from it so often, to do that they would have to redact many verses of the gospels and apostolic letters.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Since Jesus was the God of the Old Testament, one must accept or reject both.

In mP's case, he merely spouts off without knowing anything about the subject matter (except what he reads on other sites). If one accepts as fact that man and God do not have the same perspectives and that there are many things we don't understand in the same context as God — and if we accept God as just, merciful, benevolent and kind, then we must conclude that the problem resides with us and our limitations. (In short, not knowing all the facts.) If, on the other hand, we reject God as just, merciful, benevolent and kind, then he has either deceived mankind, or someone else has deceived mankind into thinking he is arbitrary, malicious, unjust and cruel. But if he’s like that, why does he take such an interest in mankind and send them prophets? And why would he increase man’s knowledge of him and offer man the ability to become like him? That doesn’t make sense.

Or perhaps he doesn’t exist at all.

Then we have to ask what mP’s agenda is in constantly spouting off on how mean, nasty, spiteful and vituperative God is. Does he mean to undermine God’s existence or his ability to rule? That must be determined by the reader, but nothing mP has written has indicated to me that he knows anything about what he’s talking about. If we can’t depend on him to know about history, religion, culture or Jewish theology, how can we depend on him to give us an accurate and fair appraisal of Deity?

• James Brown
  • cofty
    cofty

God is not a moral monster - there is no such thing as a supernatural world.

The stories about god that superstitious people like to tell each other portray the god character as a moral monster of the vilest sort.

• jam
    jam

Cold Steel; "We reject God as just,merciful,benevolent and kind,

then he has either deceived mankind or someone else has

deceived mankind into thinking he is a malicious unjust and

cruel".

Just last night reading Numbers 31:7-18. Is this a just,

merciful God?

God commanded Moses to kill all the males (Midianites).

I guess to reduce the Midia to slaves and put an end to them.

Moses become angry with his army officers, why?

Numbers 31:15, have you kept all the women alive?

Kill every male among the little ones and only keep alive

for yourselves all the young girls who have not known

a man intimately.

Now if his intention was to commit genocide it did not work, because in

Judges 6:1-2 they are back again, now the Midianites oppress Israel.

You tell me, is this the act of a loving God??

It looks to me a God that is getting his kicks and having

fun with mankind slaughtering one another.

This kind of behavior is unacceptable today, but yet

we are to follow his his written words.

• mP
    mP

Cold:

In mP's case, he merely spouts off without knowing anything about the subject matter (except what he reads on other sites)

mP:

Too bad you couldnt give a single example of my errors. NOthing like a bit of personal attacks, to show how correct you are. Comeon show a little class and intelligence and prove me wrong.

Since i dont know the bible show me a few quotations, or even better show me where i have said a single untruth.

• mP
    mP

COld:

Does he mean to undermine God’s existence or his ability to rule? That must be determined by the reader, but nothing mP has written has indicated to me that he knows anything about what he’s talking about. If we can’t depend on him to know about history, religion, culture or Jewish theology, how can we depend on him to give us an accurate and fair appraisal of Deity?

mP:

There are so many fancy inventions in the bible its not funny. Jesus believed in the Moses story and we all know 3 million jews did not just leave Egypt, nor did they travel thru the desert and so on. Perhaps a few did leave here or there, but that is completely against what the swtory says.

You on the other hand know little about jewish culture, except what the watchtower has painted for you, and thats why you can only rant and never quote.

Jehovah is an invention by the jewish priests and kings, to support their lifestyle and rule. Prove me wrong.

• jam
    jam

mP;agree, "invention by the Jewish priests and kings to support

their lifestyle". First of all when you tell people you are special,

God chose you out of all the people in the world you are his favored.

That will create some problem among other nation.

Maybe all the wars taking place in the OT was because other

nations was tired of hearing how great jewish people and they God were.

We are superior and you folks are crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit