David Splane does not bow head when giving a prayer!

by VM44 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

lamallcool:

Sorry if I am off topic but I want to mention that one JW ASL interpreter sister opened her eyes while she was translating the prayer in ASL

Shocking. I suppose her audience had their eyes open too.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

What I was wondering: why the hell are you supposed to close our eyes in the first place! Is there biblical scripture that it should be that way?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

DeWandelaar:

What I was wondering: why the hell are you supposed to close our eyes in the first place! Is there biblical scripture that it should be that way?

It's a Protestant thing. Because JWs developed from an Adventist offshoot from Protestantism, it's little wonder they continue that tradition, along with many other aspects.

Early Christianity\Western Catholicism\Protestantism\Restorationism\Adventism\Bible Student movement\Jehovah's Witnesses

• Freedom4all
    Freedom4all

Some 30 years ago I was part of the 'secret service' during the district conventions.
    It was called 'special assignment' on our badges, which we wore at the inside of our coat.

Our task was the security of the brothers and sisters.

Looking out for pickpockets was one of our tasks.
    We were not instructed to keep our eyes open during prayer, but it was strongly suggested that the bible does not say that we have to.

When would pickpockets do what they do?
    Of course when victems have closed their eyes.

So we shut our eyes wide open during prayer.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Splane was probably staring at children.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Checking to see how his disciples were going. Spying on them. Oooh what a creepy creepy man.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Hey Freedom4all! Nice to see you again! :)

• Fernando
    Fernando

He's got some 'splane'n to do...

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

David Splane??

Pull my finger!!

• blondie
    blondie

I don't have access to a WT-CD right now, but I do believe bowing head, closing eyes, standing or sitting are not required. Can husband and wife hold hands when in the audience?

*** it-1 p. 216 Attitudes and Gestures ***However, Christians adopted many of the customs and practices of the Jewish synagogue—ones that God did not disapprove—and the same attitudes and postures of prayer are mentioned in the Christian Greek Scriptures. Nowhere do they give support to a facial or bodily attitude of assumed piety and sanctimoniousness. They do not make any given posture, such as placing the palms together or clasping the hands when offering prayer, essential. In fact, prayers can be made silently and completely without outward manifestation, when the individual is carrying on an assigned duty or is faced with an emergency. (Compare Ne 2:4.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit