New blog post: Would Jesus Shun?

by adamah 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You would need to prove that the Greek language meant " killing and dismembering." There are many possible meanings of the Greek used.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I would love it if you made these shareable on FACEBOOK. I also have tried to subscribe to your blog but can't for the life of me figure out how. I have enjoyed your posts on your blog that you have shared with us in the past.

• adamah
    adamah

Data dog said:

You would need to prove that the Greek language meant " killing and dismembering." There are many possible meanings of the Greek used.

Huh? Are you claiming that Jesus was AGAINST slavery, and the confusion stems from a simple understanding or mis-translation?

What a shame that Jesus and omnipotent God couldn't communicate such an important moral principle like God's policy on human slavery (BTW which is not even contested as the policy of ancient Judaism, except by the most biased of Biblical apolegetists) in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, such that to determine the policy requires an intensive study of ancient Greek, huh? No "Thou Shalt Not Buy or Sell One's Fellow Humans" in the 10 commandments?

Likely a result of those "lying scribes", who tried to make Jesus look bad?

OR, is it more plausible that MOST ancient men didn't even question the immorality of slavery (Zoroasterians aside; they sooner caved into pressure to allow it), and hence didn't stop to think of any other perspective developing until some 1,500 years AFTER they translated the phrase?

Adam

• mP
    mP

Laika

MP:Give me the many, i know of one scripture but not many.

Laika:

I gave you 2 scriptures, Matthew 24:14 and Matthew 28:19. One of those was the last thing Matthew recorded in his book, demonstrating he thought it was important to preach the message worldwide.

mP:

The other 3 gospels never mentions anything remotely like this order. Strange for such an important message to get lost.

Laika:

Jesus came to preach to the Jews but he said he intended his message to be preached to everyone and wanted his disciples to spread it after his death, which they did, Paul was not the only Christian missionary you know.

mP:

Thanks for confirming my assertion. The fact is Jesus ignored and set the example of ignoring everybody but the jews. Repeating histry we all know doesnt change that fact, nor does it change the anger and practices of Peter.

mP:There is the example of the good Samaritan woman that he ignored and walked away.

Laika:

Where is this?

Remember you said Jesus shunned everyone who wasn't Jewish. Since the bible records him talking to non Jews this is wrong. QED.

MP:

Read the text i gave the scripture, where Jesus tells her she shouldnt take whats not hers because shes not jewish.

So how did Jesus example get so corrupted by Peter and the other followers ? How exactly do you explain the scripture from Acts and the faact that it was official policy ?

Just because it got fixed doesnt excuse the crimes and history of the former. Peter honestly believed preaching to gentiles was wrong.

• mP
    mP

Laika

Remember you said Jesus shunned everyone who wasn't Jewish. Since the bible records him talking to non Jews this is wrong. QED.

mP:

Well he wasnt setting much of an example was he ? Imagine you repeated the same today to a black or white or some other racial group ? Would that be honourable ?

• mP
    mP

DataDog

The slavery bit is getting old. Anyone who had a job back then was a slave/servant of someone, except the Emperor. If you have a job today, you have a Master. There is nothing wrong with telling people to be a good worker/servant/slave in the Greek language.

mP:

As Adam mentioned theres a big difference between being a slave and an employee today. I guess Spartacus and his 100k rebellious slaves risked their lives to fight the roman Army over nothing. Slaves got raped, murdered, and never got to go home for some free time. Im sure if you were a slave then you not be talking quite as liberally as you are now.

The problem is Jesus should have mentioned this arrangement was wrong. by not doing so he is no different from his contemporaries.

• Narcissistic Supply
  • adamah
    adamah

whathappened said-

I would love it if you made these shareable on FACEBOOK.

Ask and ye shall receive, as I can enable the sharing feature on FB/Twitter (I THINK I can, at least). The subscribe by RSS feature seems to be down right now....

I also have tried to subscribe to your blog but can't for the life of me figure out how. I have enjoyed your posts on your blog that you have shared with us in the past.

Hmmm, I thought I ironed out the 'subscribe via e-mail' feature on the middle of the home page? I just verified that it's working properly, so people can sign up by entering their e-mail address to be notified (via Feedburner) when I post new articles.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit