Pre-Paid Legal Services...many JWs market it

by Rufus T. Firefly 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If I am correct, it is MLM. Again, no one will believe me. MLM is dangerous. Any company any time. There are many, many other ways to earn money and to invest. MLM is the way not to go. Regardless of one individuals, personal income boost, never do it. It is only fleeting. They are legal. It is not a Ponzi scheme. Nevertheless, many business, legal, and public professionals would love to make it illegal. People will not respect you if you do MLM.

Perhaps there are some biases present but it a good general rule of thumb. If you are very interested in a particular one, don't rush in. There are exceptions to every rule. The best advice is if you love a particular company's product hire someone who knows advanced finance and tons of companies. The very best people may be able to tell you within a few minutes whether it is a disaster or perhaps the best opportunity in decades. Don't go on the Internet or buy books at bookstore. Also, don't hire an MBA student. There is a world of difference between high grades and being tuned to the street.

I once had a massive illness. Don't think I did not run to Harvard, Yale, San Francisco, the Mayo Clinic, the list is endless b/c it also includes Europe and China. Everyday illness a medical student can treat. When you have a mega illness, particularly if it is rare, there are only perhaps two or one md who can help. So many patients need one person. Regardless of your background, if you find another doctor in a related field and he makes a two minute phone call, you go to the top of the list. If I did not practice what I preach, I would be dead, dead, dead by my own hand. Yet I am doing very well now.

No one needs special schools, massive experience. NY is so large I marvel all the time at regular people with little education who had a rare form of cancer who were seeing mediocre doctors. They don't realize it but the mediocre doctor called in all favors to get the person a quicker appointment with the worl'ds best. When you have cancer, a few hours makes a big difference. They have no idea how lucky they are. In fact, masters of the universe were tactfully put on hold while some common laborer was given priority. Doctors do this all the time. They only do it for timebombs that are emergency situations. If they did with all their patients, the ones who absolutely need it would die.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Prepaid legal services, in general, are a great idea. The basic reality, though, is the legal services they provide are not that expensive. Most people would do better not paying the premiums and just borrowing money to see a lawyer through regular channels. As a general rule, the lawyers are not that smart.

This may have changed since the last time I researched it. When I first heard about prepaid legal services, I almost swooned with delight. What a great idea. Society could be transformed. My joy was premature. The limitations in the contracts are substantial.

So you are investing in a company that sounds as tho it is a brilliant idea. Yet it not does that great a service. The basic idea is wonderful, though. Many unions, etc. provide prepaid legal services as part of their basic employee contract. Because many employers and unions provide it now, the potential market to make money is much smaller. I may be wrong but there are good plans that are not MLM available now.

Lawyers can't afford lawyers. So if I could find a good prepaid legal service company I would purchase the contract. There are so many ways to avoid MLM now, I would never do MLM. There may be excellent ones now that I don't know about.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

" MLM is dangerous"

Is that a sound comment from an intelligent lawyer or just your personal opinion?

please enlighten why Multi Level Marketing is dangerous..... I am curious of your sources of information

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

For my 5 cents' worth, I wouldn't say MLM is dangerous but it does take the right kind of person to make it a success. The ones I've known who have done well at it have been flamboyant salesy types who could sell ice to an Eskimo. I certainly don't think it's a way to make easy money though because you do have to work long at it to get it off the ground and if an area is already saturated with consultants there is no one to sell to.

Some MLMs are malevolent or even scams though: http://www.mlmwatch.org/

This page is a great resource on the industry.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Yes, I know of a few. 1 is am MS in a local cong. He does it...has a big magnetic sticker on his car door.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is both a personal opinion and it is also time out at major law firms and Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia - you just name a school where Supreme Court justices and Attorney General attend school. No one here thinks I know anything. Well, I am so angry you can go fall of a cliff and drop miles and miles. I may see it but I will not utter any warning even in my brain. You are totally incapable of ever understanding why it is such a horrific idea.

Not even I am stupid enough or foolish enough to explain all the multitude of reasons why MLM is always bad, no matter how good it seems even after research. You think Ivy League lawyers who made law review and partner at some legendary place don't want extra income without working. Well, you just signaled you are a fool. No, you don't know how many times a contracts, torts, Conflict, remedies, real estate course was completely stopped so some prof could teach us never, never do MLM. It is complex and simple. We start to get upset and signal that we need contracts, torts, you name it or we will fail the bar exam. No, some lessons in life are so important..... Well, guess which person who should have known better than to come within a mile of MLM was seduced and lost a lot of money? So now we are being screamed at to pay attention b/c we might have a weak moment one day, do research, and be seduced by MLM. MLM is very seductive. People who know in their core never to do it are seduced.

Well, it is now forty years from when the time out was called. There is not enough time for me to explain why they are so bad. This site never ceases to amaze me with people who know nothing who think they know more than I do within my little, itsby, bitsy area of expertise. Theoretically, it is possible and legal for MLM to work. It may for short periods. The basic principle is so bad that it always doomed to failure. Wharton grads, Harvard Law grads, senior partners have taken time out for decades to research MLM for themselves. When we research, we never do what almost everyone here does. Read any old book or glance at the worst Internet site for all time. No, lawyers call Wharton. Wharton grads call us. Professors are called. The circles get wider and wider. Never underestimate what certain lawyers and MBAs will do to make even more money. Over large chunks of history, they repeatedly fail and fail miserbly.

Yet on paper and with the most jaded and experienced business analysis they appear incredible. This why the rule of thumb is never, ever consider MLM. They never stop failing. Yes, a few people might make millions, even hundreds of millions. Let me reveal yet one more thing: it is so incestuous at the top that without spying, I hear so many things that I could make a fortune on the New York Stock Exchange, in particular. Well, I would not be the first lawyer who could do it. The SEC and Justice Dept. could never prove that I just happened to walk some place and overheard two or three words that never should be said in an elevator or a restaurant. Generations have pondered what to do. The risk is immense. Losing your legal license, prison, and no friend ever coming near you again for eternity. Unlike most people, I have an idea of what Justice and the SEC can prove or enforce. The pay off can literally be hundreds of millions. Yet so many have boldly gone where I want to risk for a little bit. Because I don't assume I know everything in the world at all times, I listened to profs implore us never to take the risk. I recall what decent, nice, powerful, brilliant people a few years older than me did. This keeps me out of federal prison and enables me to climb even higher.

There is no business scheme that you could ever imagine that lawyers and finance MBAs have not ruthlessly dissected. B/c it involves our lives, it gets more attention than the business of important clients. So for 40 years, I never even read about MLM. If the rule ever changed or even if it varied, I would already know. Just in case I missed it, the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Economist, the Boston Globe would print extra bold headlines. Once they print something, the secret is now known by countless millions and it is over.

But I don't know you but you don't me. Yes, someone could do extensive research and with great effort, assemble the info and personal experiences I have had to pretend to be me. Get real. JW does not merit HBO research. We do merit it but b/c of the put down of me, HBO will never do it. B/c if I were dead, I would find the power to walk down a block or my hallway and tell HBO executives why they should not do it.

So trounce me some more. Oh, that Band is so arrogant. Yes, let us lynch her b/c she is outrageous. She thinks she knows a fraction more than I do after decades of education and walking down the street minding her own business in the most concentrated seat of power in the entire world. Oh, NO, she is such a moron. I read some bad Internet site for two seconds so I know more than she does. Bring it on! Well, you do not realize it. You just proved conclusively to not only an audience of one but millions that you should never be trusted with anyting in your life. The reality is that I am certain you already know some important thing broadly and deeply that could improve my life. So rather than combine knowledge, let some moron in business try to take down someone who has done it since 1980. No, I started in law school in 1977.

Oh, no, that evil, evil Band. Who does she think she is? Well, she may have had a deep intense interest in civil rights since grade school because of her JW experience. Perhaps her beloved mother was expelled from high school at 14. This Band devoted her life and still devotes every moment she can spare to learning about civil rights globally. Lots of students do. Yet something in this disgusting, immoral Band means that idiots hate her but true giants drag her in an office and tell her very sensitive information. No one else out of fifty kids gets pulled into the office. Maybe two or three others are so lucky. Being pulled in an office and trusted with info that if it left the room could cause a national catastrophe is the highest compliment in the world. No school, no life experience can begin to match it. Why me? I have no clue.

Yes, everyone here believes I am an idiot. Well, not anyone at Harvard, etc. Wall St. partners adore me. Even among professors in other fields, they worship me. Well, let me brutal. In my grand scheme of things and in my inner soul, I would rather have the admiration of any old prof at a mediocre school than the approval of any JW audience until eternity. Yet I never thought that way until here and here during the last few months.

Believe me, I could explain MLM to anyone else on this board. Only the simplest terms. Now you are will be one person who can go to hell before I will reveal it to anyone here because it might get back to you. Do MLM on a grand scale. Oh, yes, it is the perfect investment vehicle for dumb people. Do it on massive scale. See if I will even think for a second that I was wrong not to explain it to you. If anyone on this board want to know about MLM, I will call profs, profs, practicioners, and govt. employees to explain it in the best manner possible as long as it does not ever told to one person. Just PM me. Because I know for a fact that most state attorney generals and fraud bureaus are riveted on MLM schemes. They will never admit to a newspaper b/c then the MLM will know that it is under extreme scrutiny. No, be my guest, invest in MLM. If any decent person capable of being educated is already in MLM, it is not the end of the world. There are ways to get out with your money. PM me.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hi Band, I certainly didn't mean to offend you. That link I posted above is right up your alley though, exposing the realities of mlm and uncovering its lies. A lot of their claims and tactics reminded me of jws.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I got it from a non jw. So far it works for me. I don't like all the pressure to sell it, but what the hay...I do what I want.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Any body remember SHAKLEE biodegradable cleaning products (Basic H) from the 1970's?

It was HUGE with JW just before 1975 default.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit