had another conversation with my wife this morning

by Crazyguy 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

She was getting already for service so I asked her "how do you do it?" "How do you still go and do all this spiritual stuff now that you know that my research and letter to bethel shows that the JW religion denies us the messiah"? She got all defensive and disagreed again with what i wrote to bethel and then i had to step in and tell her that its "its them that teaches that we don't have a mediator in christ and were not under the new covenant". She just mumbles some stuff and said something about do i have something better to offer and i said "yes Jesus."

She went on and said something about me thinking I'm going to heaven because as you know they think that being under the new-covenant or something must mean you think your anointed and going to heaven. I then said well i'm not sure were i'm going nor do i care. Showed her Rev 7 and 19 were it says the great growds in heaven and before the throne. I was also able to mention to her that no where in the bible does it say the 144k are anointed or will become Kings and priest. Finnally I showed her Luke 21:8 in the king james. I dont think anything resinated with her, but Luke 21:8 in the original King James packs a punch and she defenitly did a double take. I ask "what other religion had said the time is near more then us in the last 130 years" got a wierd mumbled responce, but for a moment i think she agreed.

Any way in conclusion she was off to service and was going to share the scriptures with the elders, Talk about brain washed. She can't even think for herself, just shuts off and goes to the elders for her aswers. Just thought a would share, sure most of you have gone through this.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

No I did not have to go through what you are going through. I was lucky on that account. It does amaze me how your wife will not trust you on this. After all I am sure you are doing this out of love and a deep concern for her. Yet it seems she just does not quite get it. Your facts you have given her may start her thinking even if she goes to the elders on it. I sure what they say to her may not ring true for her and she might start thinking more about what you said. You can only hope. I feel for you. I can only imagine what you are putting up with. Take care. Totally ADD

• Listener
    Listener

You are making her think otherwise she wouldn't need to go to the elders for reaffirmation. It will be interesting to find out what she has to say after speaking to the elders.

• zeb
    zeb

To all ex bros in this situation; how is your intimacy? Take care in trying to convince your wife for fear she may withdraw your 'rights' to get back at you and then your marriage is on a very slippery slope.

State your case but when she blocks it off in preference to the company of chatter chatter sisters and being told repeatedly the Kingdom line then such is the journey she is on. Dont be caught by wanting to inform/criticise/ enlighten your spouse at every opportunity that presents you wont change them as women have a need to cling to what is popular within their chosen circle. I work with all women hey tell me about it.!

To such wives what is your opinion of the way the wts handles the Candace Conti case and all the others ?

How would you feel if you learned your offspring had been sexually abused by some "perfect" witness?

Would you call the Police or would you just go to the Elders? Is there a conflict in your mind here? Then where the hell is the love the wts claims to promote?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

i agree with you Zeb, i'm not going to say anything to her again for a while, and i do realize the religion is all she has a knows. she really has some friends in this hall were in and she really likes most everyone there. this hall is actually the best one i have ever been to its the cream of the crop. So i don't expect much but i cant wait and do nothing since i have children to rescue. I did this today as a test to gage her.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Get her to read "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop. It's about a woman who escapes a fundamental polygamist cult. It's just different enough not to offend a JW but just similar enough to help get you thinking. Worked for me- helped me see a cult for what it is, and now I'm here.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Good work crazy, stay civil, use the bible and have the attitude of wanting to know the answers! They can't call you evil for asking.... Well they can but that just gives the game away.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Have you tried asking questions, rather than telling her things? It's only natural that she is resistant to TTAT, this is all she knows, it's scary for her to think you might be right, so she is shutting out what you are saying, and nobody likes to be told that their beliefs are all wrong. Then you have the fact that dubs are well conditioned to reject anything that is contrary to the belief system. If you push too much, you might alienate her, but If you ask her what her thoughts are, you might learn what tactic to use. You may be focusing on one thing, but there might be other areas in which she has doubts. Look at it as a partnership between you, and be accepting if she doesn't believe you right away on everything. Go gently.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Crazyguy,

I don't know how long you've been into this scenario, and everyone's situation is different. I don't know if my experience will help. But here it is.

Five years ago I sat down with my wife and told her that I thought that there were fundamental flaws to our beliefs and that I was going to resign my position. She listened to me patiently as I explaned that I felt that we were on a snipe hunt of 130 years, and that now the Society was changing teachings because nothing happened. I didn't hit her with everything I had discovered and kept it simple.

But I waited, took a job that made it easy to miss all the meetings, and I stopped cold turkey attending meetings. She continued for about a year attending on her own, going by herself with our daughter, before she herself stopped. This was the part that really killed me, seeing her march off to the meeting like a good christian sister.

I thought that it might be a case that I don't have to convince her of much, if she got away from it long enough she would see the light. By my not attending meetings it made it more her decision to keep going. She got tired of the elders hounding her about my not coming, and she changed congregations, and then she stopped.

This last week we had a nice discussion about some recent conversations with her mom and dad. They are still active as witnesses as is all her family. But she has been more outspoken to them about our situation than I thought.

It has been a slow process, and I know that there are conversations that I talked too much, disclosed too much, etc. It was better for me to say just a little and then change the subject. There have been several times that she has corrected me about my attitude, and I knew then that I needed to shut up.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Julia, that is exactly what opened my eyes. I was reading books on the FLDS, Mormons, Scientologists, Amish and North Korea. So much of it made me think the JW's were just as bad in many ways and once I read those I started searching on Amazon for books about the witnesses. I read a couple of books and then found C of C. After reading that I started to go on line and found all of the different sites and that really answered all of my questions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit