AVOIDING A SHEPHERDING CALL: Suggestions pls

by grumblecakes 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

AVOIDING A SHEPHERDING CALL: Suggestions pls

How about telling them the truth that you found out that the WTS. Corporation is not god's

earthly organization that its a commercialized false prophet !

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

omg, they just came to my door. i just froze and was silent and didnt answer till they left..

uggh, i gotta go to meeting this afternoon to get them off my back. i guess ill just tell them im to busy and keep putting it off till they give up.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

There is no obligation to meet with them on any account. A simple, not now will do. Tell them you'll call them if you want a visit.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

uggh, i gotta go to meeting this afternoon to get them off my back. i guess ill just tell them im to busy and keep putting it off till they give up.

What? You do not have to do anything of the sort. Ignore message, live life.

They only have as much power as you give them.

• nugget
    nugget

They have as much power over you as you choose to give them.

To avoid a shepherding call it is good to keep it short, direct and non threatening.

Thank them for their concern, as you can see I am very busy right now and it is very diffivcult to find me in. I will let you know when things settle down and arrange a visit then. Thanks again I appreciate your efforts even though now is not a good time. Sorry have to go thanks for calling.

Keep in control, keep it short don't get into a debate or allow them to question you. Keep repeating sorry I have an appointment must go.

Really if you don't want to talk to them you are under no obligation to do so.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

They can call me all they want, I have nothing to say to them.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I would just say "thanks for your concern, but at this time i'm staying home and reading the bible, did you know that the bible is the only writting inspired of God and if one prays for holy spirit it will giude you? Also i notinced in Matt 23 that i have only one teacher and his name is Jesus".

• bafh
    bafh

Here is what worked for me: "I appreciate your concern, but no thank you." or " Thank you so much for your call. Things are really busy for me right now, and i have a lot going on. I'll let you know." Click.

I would not say anything about what you think, or say anything like "I refuse" because that just raises a red flag even more than flat out declining.

They didn't bother me again. Now, I was a single woman, with no previous "status" i.e. regular pioneer, auxillary, a husband they wanted to use.... so it worked for me because they don't really care about people like me in the first place.

Let us know how it goes.

bafh

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Inform them that you are very busy but would love to meet with them. Ask to meet mid morning during the week.

Elders expect that people will accomodate their lives so meetings are set up for evenings and weekends.

Schedule something during the week and they would need to take time off their own jobs to attend. You will find the desire to encourage rapidly drain when it would cost them money.

If they do agree, all the better. When you arrive, let them know that somethign came up and that you only have 15 mins. Try to stall with small talk, then after 15 mins look at your watch, thank them for taking the time to meet with you and state that you really need to get back to work.

You haven't shown your hand at all, and limited the encounter to something distasteful to them without being rude.

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

thanks for all the suggestions. i definetly dont want to send up any red flags. ive indreased my fading so im getting more attention now (2nd weekend in a row someone has tried to drop in). thinking maybe i should go to a couple meetings so ill be off the radar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit