"Pst! You CAN go to an international convention even if you're poor, but don't tell everyone!"

by cedars 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• skin
    skin

With the 2019 International conventions coming up, I think the most ever for one year. This will be a BIG money earner, invites have already been sent out. Our area, we are only allowed to attend one of two conventions, and they are the most distant two to get to from here. And who are the ones that get to go? mainly only the ones that havn't followed instructions and simplified their lives. Most witnesses struggle to earn enough money to even attend the local convention. Oh what a wonderful arrangement...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There will be ATMs set up at the locations, so do bring your Debit and Credit cards.

Show your dedicated devotion to Jehovah via your cards and cash.

• Simon
    Simon

I know this is an old topic but it seems like criticism for the sake of it, trying to find fault with the WTS where there isn't any. Because is there? Really?

What's the alternative? Offer free foreign trips for all? That's simply not realistic.

This takes advantage of local knowledge of those who are zealous (regardless of our view on the correctness of the beliefs) but who might lack the resources to go themselves to match them up with individuals who are willing to offer their private accommodation.

I'd never want to go to another assembly as long as I live but I knew quite a few older witnesses for who would have benefitted from something like this.

Assuming that the WTS is not going to be destroyed (and beware wishing for it - something worse might fill the gap) then the next best alternative is to reform their behavior which means giving credit for the good while criticizing the bad. That doesn't work if we're not balanced.

• fulano
    fulano

Of one can't afford attending and international convention, who's going to pay for it then?

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

If the search for private home accommodations was not done “confidentially” you’d have a bunch of people upset they are paying full price.

Seems like a good reason to keep it hushed.

Even that might be a stretch because I personally know individuals that not only paid for their trip in full but also covered the costs for several other elderly couples, who could not afford it, to go with them. Maybe they were never made aware that reduced cost or no cost housing may be available to them, but even then, I’m not sure they would have taken advantage of it or wanted the hassles and complications it might have presented.

Barring those with health issues is interesting. I can hardly see why that would be needed. It’s a lot of effort to travel internationally in the best of health. Maybe there were problems in the past that shaped the policy.

Its nit picky. There are a hundred other issues that could serve for a blog entry or whatever.

Even as JWs we knew WT was always thinking of their bottom line and what would put the most contributions in the box. Think of the hotel discount and booking issues we had to deal with each year. Spend months on the phone trying to get a hotel to save $30 a night and then feel compelled to drop your savings in the contribution box.

So much easier to make one phone call and book a room wherever the hell you wanted.

• zeb
    zeb

I met a young couple with bub who were talked into going to the last big Sydney convention.

They described it as "never again".

Packed walk ways, packed out stations, they ran out of nappies (diapers) and it was 2030h one day before they finally got to their accommodation utterly exhausted and they sensibly didnt go the next days.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Are family had other JWS come stay with us during the International Assemblies, they were poor and couldn't afford to stay at a motel with 5 kids in tow or eat out everyday .

Lets just say it was an experience.

In those days the International Assemblies were also 8 days long , could you believe it.

One thing I could say is that my parents were giving and compassionate to other JWS who were down in one way or another.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Why isn't any of this passed on to the media? Especially about the infirm and people in wheelchairs, etc. This is the type of discriminatory stuff the news media would love to make into a story. Especially on a slow day

Agree. It's disgusting and illegal. Very discriminatory.

Girl next door Barring those with health issues is interesting.

Is that what you call it? Interesting?
    Girl next door I can hardly see why that would be needed. It’s a lot of effort to travel internationally in the best of health. Maybe there were problems in the past that shaped the policy.

Oh sure. Girl or guy in wheelchair would only ever want to stay home and knit

GND.It's nit picky

No. It fucking illegal. Few things Watchtower have said has made me so angry.Ditto your comments. Super insensitive.

You and Simon must be very bored to play devil's advocate like this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit