How many JWs are genuinely in "good standing"?

by slimboyfat 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Interesting thread. It makes me think that yeah, actually, I did do some 'stuff' that would have gotten me into JC's ... didn't really think about it that way at the time though.

This drives home the point to me that people in religions live the same as those that aren't 'religious' ... even Jehovah's Witnesses, for real.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I would say those that get disfellowshiped would be just the tip of the ice burgh. I remember reading a post that was arguing how ineffective DFing was, in that it was only effective for 2 types of people:

(1) the sloppy e.g they didn't have enough wits and got caught.

(2) the honest e.g those who stand by what they have done and willing to take the consequences for their actions. BTW I kind of admire the option 2 people more than option 1.

All those in the middle will never own up.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I should have been burned at the stake.

George

• blondie
    blondie

But then even if df'd and reinstated, how long is it before people are considered worthy of pioneering, being "used" as a brother (duties not requiring being an MS or an elder), or being an MS, or an elder, or going to Bethel, the various forms of "Gilead." Or if privately or publicly reproved? Or inactive (tends to depend how long inactive before you "come back")? Could a brother be appointed if there is an ex Sister Brother still in the circuit and a current Sister Brother due to his committing adultery, being df'd, reinstated, then remarrying another sister? Perhaps the one he committed adultery with in the first place?

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Pm for JWFACTS

• bigmac
    bigmac

does masturbation count as a d/f ing offence? ( no--i dont mean during a meeting )

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't think so.

• brainmelt
    brainmelt

I often wonder this. I think our extended families are pretty clean and are not guilty of any DF offenses. They are all major uber dubs. I often think that so many others of our former aquaintances must be guilty of several, drunkeness at least. My husband and I were guilty of at least two while in (uncleanness and drunkeness) and since leaving, I have donated my blood to help save the life of others, my child has had 3 blood tranfusions and 6 platelet transfusions, my husband has smoked a joint or two, and we've celebrated our childrens birthdays. I've bought two books by Richard Dawkins. Terrible person that I am.

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

I was baptised and 'in' for 19 years (ages 16-35) I was celibate until age 23. Then had a patch of about 9 months after a judicial. The rest of the time....

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

Very few... Those genuinely in 'good standing' are very rare...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit