No more district assemblies in Tri-Cities. News article

by Indian Larry 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

This is an interesting comment coming from a local developer. I have to wonder if it’s part of a circling of the wagons because of the 100-year birthday of God’s Kingdom (according to Watchtower theology).

Right now Watchtower is pretty far along in the process of having congregations in the US acquire infrastructure for online sharing of Watchtower’s annual meeting. Based on last year’s event, this is now a primary venue for launching “new light”. Formerly this was done at district conventions or in pages of the Watchtower journal.

Above someone spoke to revenue from district conventions. This event is a primary revenue source for Watchtower, and has been for decades. But I’d wager that Watchtower could clear much more in the way of “excess above expenses” (otherwise known as profit) by localizing the event and having congregations/circuits bear any expenses involved.

Marvin Shilmer

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

The goal is to build larger assembly halls that hold 3000-5000 people at a time. I believe one was just built somewhere in the Salisubry NC. No renting and negotiating for arenas, all profits are kept. It wouldn't be a logistical nightmare as since they are owned by the WTBS you can have a convention there every weekend. I believe the 400 to 100 number is like someone already mentioned, there will always be some areas where it just isn't feasible to build their own assembly hall.

• Londo111
    Londo111

This would mean 300 fewer fluff articles in the newspapers nationwide about how great JWs are and how wonderful the convention is.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

They need to build Mega King Kong Halls to seat 50 thousand people.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

In northern San Diego, the Escondido assembly hall is in the middle of a very detailed expantion and rehab. San Diego also has one of the last open air conventions,a dn the Spanish and English both meet at the same time. It really knocks everything out all at once.

Hmmmmm.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Good point Sir82 My comment refers to the current District Convention arrangement being phased out. If the information provided by the source, i.e. that the process will go from 400 to 100 is true, than there is something to the economic aspect of the process which, according to your position, doesn't add up. If the current district convention arrangement is the single biggest money maker, which I believe was the case many years ago, than if would be the epitome of foolishness to ever mess with it! If, however, the intent is to rein in the process, i.e. minimize the amount of venues that have to be acquired and paid for and utilize only Society owned facilities, than how would one go about meeting that need. Currently, most circuit assembly venues are booked from September through May-June. The current process does not afford enough time in the calendar to address the addition of another round of district conventions to be held in those facilities. The math does not add up. With regard to contributions on the district level, what was once a good 100K per assembly is considerably lower...considerably. The inability to charge for parking was the first hit. Additionally, the presence of debit and credit card contributions is testament as well as this capability went against the prior mentality of ensuring that the public did not feel "compelled" to give. Now, however, the lack of contributions has required that adjustments be made. SOP

• Joliette
    Joliette

Wow, that's big news. So they are not gonna end the assemblies, but they are gonna rent out less venues w/ more JW's?

• sir82
    sir82
    Currently, most circuit assembly venues are booked from September through May-June. The current process does not afford enough time in the calendar to address the addition of another round of district conventions to be held in those facilities.

I forget how many assembly hallls ather are in the US - I think it is around 30 or so.

Suppose there are 30, and there are 9 free weekends in & around July / August. Also suppose each assembly hall can hold 2000 people.

9 X 30 X 2000 = 540,000 which is about 1/2 of the JW population in the US.

If you squeezed more people into the remaining 100 rented venues, or maybe booked up one extra weekend each, you could probably handle the rest.

This is of course entirely speculative - but if I were in charge of maximizing "profits" for the WTS, that is what I would do.

• tiki
    tiki

they could always do something like this

Assembly Hall seats 3000.

District has 27000 attendees.

Schedule a weekly series of 9 district conventions, and divvy up the peeps so that you only get around 3000 at each. District Convention 2014 - Millions Formerly Living are now Dead..... please attend as instructed at Notown USA, section 1 through 9. We will make an announcement letting all know when the announcement of the new loving arrangement will be made so that all can adjust their schedules appropriately in order to partake of this rich spiritual banquet provided by the lovingest of all gb.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So no more gatherings of 10,000 upwards at conventions?

Between that and the abolition of the Book Study and goodies night, this religion just gets more bland by the minute.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit