I'm famous...

by diana netherton 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Cool ... we always wondered how those things worked. I guess it's a little like "short-hand" ... but without handwriting?

• cliff
    cliff

Cool!

As a kid I was fascinated by the court steno in Perry Mason (which always ended in the trial court with a suprise "bomb-shell"!) using only a few keys to make a tape (like telex) which could then be read back to confirm a point.

Phonetics, of course!

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Vid...thanks for asking. My grandmother recently passed away in June and it's been difficult for me. My father was just diagonsed with terminal cancer, and to top it off, my boyfriend of three years wants to break up with me again. (Don't ask :) So, yes, I am rather weary.

But I am trying to look at the positive. Sometimes it's difficult. I get so down. Funny how you could pick that up on the video without even knowing me!

• steve2
    steve2

Very cool. Thanks diana (boyfriends can be pains, huh?)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Diana Netherton - "Funny how you could pick that up on the video without even knowing me!"

PMed you.

• Mum
    Mum

Hi, Diana. I'm happy for you that you have a great profession.

I'm learning stenography, but I'm not quite as dedicated right now as I need to be. I have chosen it as a retirement career, but there are no classes near me. I chose court reporting because there's little to no age discrimination in that field, and I've always excelled at English and spelling.

Which machine and software do you like best? Do you wear anything on your wrists? Maybe I should send you a PM.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a question after observing multitudes of court reporters creating a record. How do you stay focused? I am practicing law and it is so hard to stay focused sometimes. Boring.

I played secretary/ clerical for a long, long time. My basic loyalty is to the secretaries b/c they need my support. Where would anyone be without secretaries?

The first typists were all male. Women working was a major scandal. It was also thought that only men could handle the new technology. Do you know when it was an all male profession, the pay was much higher?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Hi Diana,sorry with all that you are going through. I have been thinking of taking classes for stenography.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Cool!!

BTW, your hands and fingers are the perfect length and shape for playing the piano.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Hey, Diana and Wing! I live in Lancaster County, too. I still remember my Gregg shorthand, but the machine you use in the video gives me the willies. I don't know how you do it.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Diana.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit