When the urge to hit back is stronger than the instruction not to

by steve2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

BOTR, I get what you mean by those who vigorously defend the organization on anti-JW sites are most likely teetering in their faith or needing to bolster it. Their foray into defending "the Truth" is probably a way they prove to themselves they are true believers and are on the moral high ground compared to evil apostates.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Steve2 - I like it when JW apologists visit here because they expose themselves and the watchtower(R) to be as barking mad as they really are.

Sadly, I can't always tell if it's a JW apologist or simply a troll as both parties seem to display the same level of anger when they get caught out.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I still think they should actually be encouraged to post though. I've been watching a guy's youtube channel. It's very interesting as he started out like all JW apologists, refuting all the arguements thrown at them by ex JWs. His arguements came across as though he knew what he was talking about. He had a good handle on the bible. After a couple of years of this he suddenly had an epiphany and in his next video he's outside the KH with his letter of resignation. He becomes a full blown apostate now argueing on the other side of the fence.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    punkofnice - "...I can't always tell if it's a JW apologist or simply a troll..."

Who says they can't be both?

Besides, any sufficiently sophisticated parody of fundamentalism is indistinguishable from the real thing, anyway.

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, punkofnice, you're so right: I agree with your sentiments. That's why I think that JW apologists who post here should be congratulated despite their penchant for unbridled hostility.

Whether they're an actual active JW, a fading JW, a troll or my Uncle Pelican, it doesn't matter. Because this is the internet, unless we're uncontrollably paranoid, I tend to take people at their word - unless their story is sieve-like - and respond to them in terms of who or what they say they are.

I am a firm believer that the very first step to leaving the witnesses is to be baptized as a witness simply because after the honeymoon, the scales readily lift from one's eyes. You have to be inside to see the necessity of leaving. So many colorless people hang around the edges of the organization, neither in nor out, drifting along like insipid drones - they never generate enough energy to either enter more fully or leave more definitely.

The second step? Trying to defend the organization as if they are desperately trying to bolster the organizational house of cards and "prove" to themselves they have faith. Poor sods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit