Former Longtime Elder- Met up with a Former CO,DO

by James Jackson 47 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Funny story about Don Wallace...I had him as a CO way back when everyone was afraid of buying things at a garage sale for fear of the demons. He bought pretty much everything second hand and one of the sisters asked, "Brother Wallace, aren't you afraid of the demons?" His response was, "NO, let them get their own stuff." He was actually a pretty entertaining fellow.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

So this CO/DO didn't even believe the BS he was pushing. While he was wisely putting away for his retirement he was busy telling others to not worry about retiring in this system as it is coming to an end within our life time.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have absolutely no issue with what he done. Good on him. As far as WT paying him $600 a month. Good on them to, and so they should after 40 years of service.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Well, I have to say, when I was 'in the truth' I wouldn't have guessed that people that high up did that sort of thing (ie:Think 'just in case the end doesn't come I'll save up on the down low'). I guess I wasn't much of a thinker then.

I'll just sit here and be embarrassed now.

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

Bro Wallace was raised in Chattanooga TN by an Aunt. Life was not easy on him as a kid. So you could he is a survivor and made reasonable decisions. He is a really funny guy to talk with. He said of a fellow Elder, "That Brother takes so many pills, he rattles when he walks". He says he get counseled a lot by the Elders, but just smiles at them.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I am happy to hear of a CO that had some foresight things may not come to the end we were led to believe in. I knew of a couple of my siters friends who went on to be COs and I know they are now in their 70s and I have found myself recently wondering how they are getting by.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I wish I could be charitable to CO's that stash the cash for their retirement, but I sat through too many 'do more do more' talks.

You know, the end is near, don't store up material treasures talks?

Yea well, he stored up the treasures while telling rank and file to do more do more.

He is a hypocrite.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

Good for him! People are responsible for their own actions and if he chose to make preparations for the future then more power to him. Everyone else has had the same opportunity whether they choose to excercise it or not. Personally, I never lost sight of the fact that the liklihood was that I would need money in the future and I acted accordingly. I can't recall one occasion when anyone said anything critical to me about saving and investing and I was not secretive about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit