Former Longtime Elder- Met up with a Former CO,DO

by James Jackson 47 Replies latest jw friends

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Wow. I haven't heard that name in many years!

I would describe Wallace as an old school CO. He fashioned himself as a genteel, southern 'gentleman' - sometimes with white shoes and suit (a la Colonel Sanders). A friend once told me that in an elder's meeting he told the brothers that he wore the 'white hat' during his visit to the congregation and they we're in charge of doing 'the dirty work'...

He would refer to himself on stage as 'Brother Wallace'. And, once from the platform he stated, 'we ALL tell little white lies from time to time, don't we'....with a big grin on his face.

• Minimommi
    Minimommi

Wow! I remember him. He was my pioneer school instructor. He was a cocky piece of work. He and his wife were both distant to the friends. The wife didn't seem very happy.

I remember the topic of gun ownership came up in the pioneer school, and he said, "Don't tell anybody". He said the problem comes up when others know about it and they are "stumbled".

The pioneer school was always praised as a wonderful and encouraging exoerience, but it was the beginning of the end for me and DON WALLACE played a small part in my awakening.

• prologos
    prologos

he is not the only CO DO that retires in style with a paid for house.

Perhaps they form Incorporation, that sequesters all their GIFTS, so they are always in poverty, while their wealth/apart grows.

many look down on the JWs,

this will not help the WT reputation.

• sir82
    sir82

$600 per month is the current stipend the Society pays for being a "special pioneer". My best guess is the ex-DO is now a "special pioneer".

• blondie
    blondie

The bible says that Jesus and the apostles were supported by voluntary donations and women who followed them and took care of the cooking, laundry, cleaning, shopping, etc. The apostles left their secular jobs as well. (I always wondered how their families fared.)

“Soon afterward Jesus began a tour of the nearby towns and villages, preaching and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom of God. He took his twelve disciples with him, along with some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases. Among them were Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons; Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod’s business manager; Susanna; and many others who were contributing their own resources to support Jesus and his disciples.” Luke 8:1-3 (NLT)uke 8:1-3 NLT)

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

600 amonth after 40 years service. Yep sounds like one of the smarter ones. I couldnt even pay the property tax on one of my houses with that.

• Giordano
    Giordano

This guy obviously considers himself a prince of the church and above the norm.

Maybe he inherited his so called 'savings'.

A guy that brags about his retirement and paid up house and how smart he was is not going to credit anyone else for his good fortune.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I don't really have an issue with this. Seems like they should take care of their retired COs/DOs and long term Bethelites. I'm actually surprised they appointed him as a special pioneer and are giving him this "pension". Of course, as soon as he doesn't make his hours, BOOM. Hopefully for him he'll be smart enough to do what many JWs do and fudge his numbers!

I remember my Dad telling me when I was young to live like the system would end tomorrow (ie put the WT first), but plan like it won't happen in my lifetime. That's why I started saving in a retirement plan as soon as I got a full-time job and ended up getting a college degree while serving as an elder (at least I started it while an elder). I always justified it as I was living more simply by diverting a portion of my income to a retirement fund and that I wouldn't be upset if the world ended and I lost it, but I would be a burden if I had nothing and the system was still around.

I know many JWs with the same mindset. Of course, I also know a ton of crazies that spend every cent they have and don't care about saving. But, I also know non-JWs like that so I'm not sure if its a JW thing or not.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, to qualify for SS in the US, a person is required to have put in 10 years of employment where SS was paid into the system, part by the employee and the other part by the employer. I think if you are self-employed you pay both parts.

If he or his wife inherited money from family, I don't begrudge that. One of my parents died and left me money even after I stopped having any contact with them.

$600 would not pay the utilities or taxes on our house even paid for.

I remember I was part of this organization for 45 years, believing and supporting and hoping for the carrot on a stick, everlasting life in good health on a paradise earth. Some could feel I had a part in the abuse because I was an elder's wife. The life of a CO and his wife is not easy one. Are they are expected to be special pioneers (130 hours a month) to qualify for $600/month. I know of COs who left because they could no longer administer the rules/directives of the WTS or the abuse they got from on high.

Those who take credit for the "food" in the publications, I hold them responsible.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JamesJackson:

How nice.

The reality is other less-lucky JWs didn't have the same fortunate set of circumstances. In this man's case, luck didn't have too much to do with it. It was careful planning, which I am not necessarily knocking. Sometimes being a JW really "works" for some people. Meanwhile, others are ruined.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit