Poor Carly Simon

by Hortensia 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Ha good one gopher. Anticipation. Those of us in that era get it.

• steve2
    steve2

Real Carly Simon fans would not post here. They haven't got time for the pain. (Drum roll please).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know people who know people who know Carly Simon. She suffers from severe stage fright. I think I have a lot less stage fright than Carly Simon. When she first was big, drugs may have helped the stage fright. Laurence Olivier had none until he was in his fifties. One day out of nowhere he had a full blown phobia. He forced himself to perform on stage in front of live audiences. Forgot large portions of his lines completely.

Sometimes you are fearless when you are very young and become more withdrawn and cautious with age. I loved hearing them together.

If the juxtaposition was as dramatic as the reports here, Taylor Swift should have accomodated Carly Simon. I've seen many legendary rock stars of my generation perform with elder statesmen of music. They hold themselves back out of respect. I see it all the time in person and on TV, DVD, etc.

She tried every form of treatment with no help. I compare it to how much risk I am willing to take and what my body will allow me to take. We should applaud the very fact that Carly showed up.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

how funny that this thread made it to two pages. I like the puns, btw. Never much liked Carly Simon, but don't have anything against her. Just thought it was a cruel juxtaposition -- crazily dressed Carly with stiff kneeds and hunched posture trying to do some of her old moves next to a young woman who is still fluid and graceful, even if scantily dressed.

You're So Vain is one of the great rock songs, it's true.

• steve2
    steve2

Carly was one very attractive album cover artist. She certainly ramped up the come hither look across a series of drone-like albums. The No Secrets album cover shows one very lovely, willowy lady possessed of a calm assurance not often seen in the 1970s but more evident today. I too heard about the stage fright - apparently when a stage hand suggested they remove all mirrors from the stage, her fright reduced a lot. Self-attraction is only worhwhile in nice looking men.

She was never glitzy or decadent though. She survived a double mastectomy and James Taylor (no relation to Taylor Swift). She was his nasal neigh; he was her nasal whine. Two flatter singing singers you'd struggle to ever find.

• talesin
    talesin

lol, Hortensia.. you took a lot of heat,, but I get your intent. Carly looks 'well worn'. but that is good .. at least she has not succumbed to plastic surgery! And is still wearing the lable of 'artist' vs celebrity!

xo

tal

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

thanks, Tal!

• Glander
    Glander

Carly Simon has always been a very homely woman, just like Streisand. But they had great voices and made memorable music.

Nobody Does it Better.

• Farkel
    Farkel

The prevalent rumor is that Carly was singing about Warren Beatty in that song; Beatty was an infamous womanizer of that era.

: She looks so stiff and old next to Taylor Swift. Geriatric singer/songwriter. Nice to see them sing the song together, though.

She looked pretty damn good to me, all things considered. One cannot not do a thing about their age, you know. It just IS. Her voice still sounded strong and clear.

She is a few years older than I. I wistfully observed the other day that the only odds worse than winning the Lottery for me was that I would get laid by a woman who 1) wasn't in a wheelchair and 2) didn't suffer from Alzheimers disease, let alone a Taylor Swift! I'm still holding out for a Taylor Swift, which to put it bluntly, means I will die a virgin!

So there!

Farkel, with sparkle

• steve2
    steve2

Glander, you risk causing a firestorm with you mention Ms Simon having a "great voice" in the same breath as Ms Streisand.

Whilst Ms Striesand has pipes to die for, Ms Simon has a lethargic, heavy, whiny vocal timbre that caused one critic to opine in the 1970s that if a horse could sing it would sound like Carly Simon. This of course has no bearing on how homely or lovely looking the woman undoubtedly is. Her album covers in the 1970s were stunning, featuring come hither photos of her pretty hot body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit