Poor Carly Simon

by Hortensia 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm 62, as far as I'm concerned Carly is a contemporary. Taylor Swift is a kid. If I have a choice of who to spend an evening with its a nobrainer. I much prefer adult company. Upon further thought, I realize that my youngest child probably thinks Taylor Swift is a kid.

• steve2
    steve2

I bet you think this thread is about you, don' t you, don't you, don't you?A shame that a 40-plus year "career" has been built around trying to duplicate the astonishingly fetching in-your-face vigor of You're So Vain. A fluke for sure for nothing else she ever did matched this timeless piece of ego-damning expose set to perfectly-matched music. A one-off all the more precious for being this woman's one shining moment. However, as one critic mused, If a horse could sing, it would sound like Carly Simon.Give me Canadian Joni Mitchell or gracefully talented Carole King any day. Aren't ageing horses put out to pasture in the States? I'd be contacting animal welfare agencies if I lived in this woman's home town. It is not kind to parade old animals in public.

• Splash
    Splash

Las Malvinas - Funny!

• designs
    designs

Carly Simon has won Grammy's, the Academy Award, and the Golden Glode, also Songwriter Hall of Fame over a 40 year career. Taylor is all contrived crap in the studio. Saw her live doing a brief appearance at a Tony Bennett concert, cute but she'll never be remember as one of the great female singers.

• steve2
    steve2

I suppose any female singer who survived the 1970s would look significant next to feather-weight Swift. But if you compare like with like, Simon trails the truly great singer songwriters from her era. Joni Mitchell's blazed a unique path to greatness, Carole King never disappoints and Britain's weird but talented 1970s-emerging song craftswoman, Kate Bush grows in stature by the decade. Yes, Ms Simon's decision to pair-up with fluffy Swift was as wise as it was crafty: even a smoky-voiced horse would sound more grounded and soulful than toddler-voiced Swift.

• SophieG
    SophieG

Aww...leave Carly alone. She looks great.

At least she's not wearing bootie short-shorts and knee high Gaultiers, prancing around like Madge. I don't know one of TS songs but You're So Vain will be one of the "middle finger" break up songs of all time.

• Violia
    Violia

she does look stiff next to Taylor but hey, she's lived to see this day. Not everyone has. Yeah for all the older rockers reviving there careers. Mary Weiss of the Shangralas had a new album out just a few years ago. Mick Jagger is 70, have you seen him move? Taylor should be so lucky.

Cindi lauper, 60, is red hot now.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I had no idea Cyndi Lauper is 60. She's aged nicely.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I always watched Carly with great anticipation.

• steve2
    steve2

There is a lot to be said for longevity - which has zilch to do with artistry or talent. A sober Mick Jagger acts the way my JW uncles behave when they've had one too many. Old men prancing are like old women prancing. Captivating but for all the wrong reasons. Sit down, please!

If Billie Holiday were alive today she'd be 97 - same age as my idol Frank Sinatra who is also deceased. If those two were still alive and appeared on stage together, we'd applaud until our hands were rubbed raw - but it would not be for who and what they are today but it would be for surviving and all they have meant to us.

As Frankie first sang in the early 1940s: "Oh, Look At Me Now!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit