Where did Pastor Russell get his TRUTH?

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Most Jehovah's Witnesses are aware there once lived a man named Russell and he had something to do with the early years of their religion.

But, generally, interest in the early days is almost non-existent. After all, nobody was running around calling themselves Jehovah's Witnesses, so what difference does any of that really make?

Russell and the origins of JW doctrines are, as a result of this total black out of curiousity, HIDDEN and permanently OBSCURED.

iN FACT, the only time Charles Taze Russell is discussed is because some expose' by an Apostate has raised a stink.

Admitedly, most anti-JW books seek to dredge up scandals, lawsuits, accusations and failed predictions swirling around Russell's ministry.

In my own opinion, none of that is half as interesting as the missing part of the equation: WHERE from did Pastor Russell get his TRUTH?

If you answer this one question you uncover the foundation corner stone of all subsequent Jehovah's Witness doctrine and belief no matter how

often they've mutated and modified it over the century following Russell's death.

Charlie Russell came from an upper middle class Pennsylvania family of Scottish Presbyterians.

He was truly upset by his church's teaching on hellfire. It got under his skin in a huge way!

Why? Because his own mother had died when he was 9 years old and he became terrified she may somehow

have suffered the fires of hell. It was simply unconscionable that God would inflict such tortures on his beloved mother.

By the time he was 16 he had abandoned the bible and any formal beliefs as he turned to skepticism.

For two years between the age of 16 and 18 he struggled with one problem above all others. He needed somebody to help him find a way

to make hellfire disappear so that he could embrace God as a loving father and restore his belief that the bible was true.

He flirted with the very loose Congregational church awhile with their horror of centralized governance but left unsatisfied.

His quest and doctrine shopping ended in 1869. Sitting in a 2nd Adventist Church pew, the 18 year old Russell listened to Jonas Wendall solve his doctrinal problem!

You can mark this meeting on your calendar as the day the seed of Adventist religious doctrine sprouted in C.T.Russell's mind.

By the time Wendall got through meeting with Russell and feeding his religous curiousity by answering questions, a partnership developed.

From that time forward, almost every belief, teaching and doctrine Russell promoted in his writings stemmed from the work of Adventism and the writings

of its proponents, prophets and visionaries.

Wendall introduced Russell to mainstream Adventist writers responsible for the apocalyptic Adventist ideas about the coming of Christ.

For instance, Nelson Barbour taught that Gentile times would end in 1914, forty years after the return of Christ in 1874. Barbour's book, The times of the Gentiles, laid it all out. The end of 6,000 years of human existence would lead to the Armageddon of scripture.

Russell preached, published and taught this until his death in 1916 with only minor backtracks and modification.

Jehovah's Witnesses would use the "end of 6,000 years of human existence" twice in their doctrinal speculation. The last time in 1975.

The Adventists associating with and influencing the young Russell had a boldness in their predictions that bespoke great certainty and confidence.

Barbour had said at the end of his book:

"These are some of the events this generation are to witness.... I am not willing to admit that this calculation is even one year out."

Ten years of indoctrination by the Adventists shaped Russell's deepest understanding of how the bible was to be used to squeeze and tease definite dates of prediction, description and certainty for himself. By the age of 29 he was ready to commence his own religious magazine, Zion's Watchtower in July of 1879.

Russell had become a complete apostate to Presbyterian teachings and doctrine by this time.

Russell's teachings on the ransom doctrine, paradise earth, restitution, soul sleep, celebrating the Memorial meal on Nissan 14 all exactly match

the Adventist teaching of George Stoors and Nelson Barbour.

Pastor Russell had only just begun his research into the ideas of other men, however. He soon turned to the writings of Scottish evangelist, writer and lecturer, Henry Drummond. Drummond proposed in his 1828 book, a two part coming of Christ in which, for awhile, Jesus ruled invisibly.

This absorbed into his, The Object and Manner of the Lord's Return booklet.

Additionally, Russell was totally taken by his introduction to the works of Luthern Minister Joseph Seiss who had written A Miracle in Stone, revealing a new obsession, PYRAMIDOLOGY.

Not only was Pastor Russell excited to include this amazing revelation of the prophetic measurements in Giza, but, beside himself at the correspondence with the year 1914 that Barbour had uncovered!

Russell's family fortune became the means by which he financed any agreeable Adventist publication as well as his own series of books.

We have only to call to mind that since the age of 16 Russell had been skeptical about the bible as a source of true teaching. When it served his preconceived ideas about what could be fair or true, Russell sought corroboration in bible verses, otherwise he preferred external foundation such as the Great Pyramid and charts of Dispensation popular among 2nd Adventists.

Russell was open to any disproofs of standard Christian doctrine and evidence of error in Bible transmission as well as exposing fraud in translation.

Zion's Watch Tower, September 1881, Watch Tower Reprints page 278 As Retrieved 2009-09-23, page 132, "As to the motives and errors which may have led to these unwarranted interpolations of the [Bible] text, we may be able to offer a suggestion, viz., the last mentioned (1 John 5:7,8) was probably intended to give authority and sanction to the doctrine of the "Trinity."

One by one he replaced standard classic doctrines with substitued doctrine by alternate heretical writers.

So, the brief survey raises the question of how original to Russell these absorbed beliefs really were.

Is is, at we mentioned at the outset, of very little concern to today's Jehovah's Witnessness because they view THE TRUTH as a result of

a series of "booster shots" of New Light along the way creating an immunity to false teaching.

In fact, what exactly IS this accurate knowledge of the Watchtower believer which motivates a declaration of "the ONLY TRUE" religion?

Two central foundation stones remain from the Russell era which are most troublesome!

1.The actual invisible presence doctrine centering on 1914 and the establishment of Christ's arrival to rule over his enemies.

2. The FDS or doctrine of the "mouthpiece of God" first applied to C.T. Russell and later co-opted disengenuously by Rutherford as:

A. "class" of annointed remnant channeling God's Truth.

B. Rutherford himself without consultation with board members

Neither of the above foundational beliefs can be corroborated in any sane way. This gave impulse to support the shaky insubstantiality with

a long series of failed "ideas" taught for awhile and thoroughly discredited in time.

1. Millions Now Living Will Never Die (connected to an outright prediction of the resurrection of the dead in 1925)

2.Generations teaching (Endlessly used as a "carrot" of proof that Armageddon was closer and closer) finally re-defined into meaningless ness.

3.The wresting away of the Governing Body from the President of the WT in 1972 dissolving summary authority and diluting it into mere votes.

Conclusion

An objective examination of the religion from start to present time reveals some interesting conclusions.

1. The rise of Adventism in America gained prominence under the GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT of William Miller's chronology.

2. Straggler believers held on to notions of predicting the 2nd Coming of Christ

3.Leaders in Adventism won wealthy C.T.Russell over to their charts, doctrines and proofs of an invisible Jesus arrival in 1874

4.Russell threw his money into publishing his "warning" that 1914 would be the end of the world.

5.Rutherford nursed support from Russell's true followers until he consolidated his own power

6.Rutherford and subsequent President Knorr milked the chronology and "mouthpiece" doctrines to manipulate millions of true believers.

7.The JW's have discredited themselves as prophets to the point they imploded into a mind control cult fighting paranoia.

• slipnslidemaster
  • Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Terry information like this is something I find interesting but if you put this in a book will it have wider appeal? You write very well BTW. I am just currious what is the target demographic for your book?

• whathappened
    whathappened

Yes, I will buy your book, Terry. Love your writing.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry information like this is something I find interesting but if you put this in a book will it have wider appeal? You write very well BTW. I am just currious what is the target demographic for your book?

I'm glad you asked!

Here are my premises.

1. JW's are analog minded. Not many of the older generation are even computer literate.

2. JW's live in a world of books (of course it is the ones published by the Society) which are tactile and therefore "real".

3.I always loved the books of Isaac Asimov where he explained things in everyday language. He wrote nearly 800 books, incidentally.

He could take Shakespeare, Numbers, Astronomy, the Roman Empire, Chemistry, etc. and make them digestible by pulling apart the steps

by which a larger fact was composed. I wanted to do that with JW history and doctrines.

4. I want to inject my own subjective experience as a young man into the topic making it personal.

5. I will use humor and anecdotes to take the stuffiness out of what is actually quiet boring stuff :)

6. I need to earn money and even if I only make a little I can really use it!

7. Some JW somewhere who may be on the fence may find my book easier to digest and believe than your run of the mill ANTI-WATCHTOWER rant.

8. I'm crazy

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Good Luck Terry. When you get your book published please send me an autographed copy I will gladly pay for it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You know how to get to the essence of the matter and argue well in simple language. It would be a shame to your wallet and Witnesses for you not to do on a larger scale.

I have some questions about the content. Why are JWs not an Adventist group? Were normal church leaders/theologians so captivated with pyramids and secret codes during the same time period?

I know from Columbia Univ.-the last place I would expect to find Nazi doctrine. Yet in anthropolgy and education, the university brought prestige to some Nazi beliefs about race and intelligence. I just wonder if most theologians were high on Egyptian beliefs. The view that Russell was not a fundamentalist is news. It explains a lot of the weird stuff.

Also, how is Adventism strikingly different from mainstream Christian belief?

I tried reading the wikipedia articles on Adventism. Perhaps the Witnesses poison my views but I am not going to spend my time reading the literature. The excerpts were boring and a bit scary. It all strikes me as spooky. Of course, the occult was a huge phenomena at the time.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Make sure you specify that CTR and Barbour split over the ransom doctrine. Just for accuracy...just sayin'.. Loved the info!

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

By the time Russell met him, Barbour was no longer an Adventist, but was teaching millenarian, age-to-come belief. Storrs left Adventism in 1844 for an independent age-to-come belief system which he maintained and continued to advocate even while associated with the Life and Advent Union. If you read the truthhistory blog you will also see that the Allegheny church was not Adventist but One Faith as associated with The Restitution. They did not teach Adventist doctrine, and none of Russell's doctrine is uniquely Adventist. He, in fact, says it's not. We have every reason to believe him.

The two doctrinal sets are significantly different and the two groups said really nasty things about each other. When Schulz and de Vienne's new book comes out, you will find much of this detailed in the first three chapters. All of Russell's principal doctrines are derived from Age-to-Come belief. All Russell owed to Wendell is relief from hell fire belief.

The 1914 date is not derived from Adventism. Barbour got it from an Anglican, E. B. Elliott. Date speculation predates Adventism. You will find it among 18th Century German Lutherans and Anglican millenarians. You're articles are interesting, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Another example would be the 2520 year count of time. Not Adventist in origin. American Congregationalist from a book published in 1808.

Russell's unique view of restored paradise for many and heaven for few is not adventist. It comes from an Anglican and from a Brethren commentator. The idea that the jews would return to God's favor was strongly rejected by Adventists, but is an Age to Come belief. His view of resurrection, what some called "simultaneous resurrection" doctrine came from Benjamin Wilson. Wilson was an Age to Come adherent, never an Adventist. The two stage advent Russell taught until 1881 derives from Anglican commentators of the 17th and 18th Century. It is not an Adventist doctrine. Rejection of World Burning came from One Faith believers. It was the known teaching of J. T. Ongley, a one faith evangelist who preached to the Allegheny congregation. You will find somewhere on the truthhistory blog a copy of the One Faith church directory listing them as approved One Faith (aka restitution church, church of god) congregation.

I like your articles, Terry. But you're on the wrong trail. You're just repeating what you find on the internet and in poorly researched books. You can trace the real story through The Restitution and Bible Examiner. They're hard to find, but not impossible to locate.

Why do some expect Russell to have originated anything. That wasn't his goal, and he never claimed to do so.

I may get kicked off Schulz's private blog for doing so, but here is a small extract of what they've written:

Curry and those who have followed him base their conclusions on a series of misstatements and misperceptions. Russell, far from avoiding any connection with Miller, referred to him approvingly. So while it is true that Miller believed in a fiery end and rejected Conditional Immortality in favor of Inherent Immortality, these things did not serve to separate Russell from Miller. He saw the Millerite movement as the first step in a prophetic fulfillment, but wrong in doctrine. The idea that Russell avoided Adventist identity so that he could appear to be the independent restorer of primitive Christianity is invented from whole cloth. Russell saw himself as a kind of cut-and-paste Bible Student, reassembling from scattered sources the Old Theology. Russell said as much in 1889:

We must disclaim any credit even for the finding and rearrangement of the jewels of truth. “It is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes.” The writer wholly disclaims superior ability or qualification for the reorganization of the truth in its present solidarity. As the time had come for the bringing together of the scattered thoughts of past centuries in the marvelous inventions of our day. – so the time had come for the bringing together of the fragmentary hopes and promises of God’s Word scattered through Christendom. To deny that the Lord has simply “poured out” this harvest time blessing of “present truth” in his own due time and in his own way, would be as wrong as to claim it as of our own invention. … It came gradually, silently, as comes the morning dawn: the only effort necessary was to keep awake and face in the right direction. And the greatest aid in so doing was the effort put forth to awaken others of the “household of faith” and point them to the light and in turn to urge upon them the necessity for serving also, if they would overcome the lethargic “spirit of the world,” and be ready to go in to the marriage of the Lamb.

Russell believed he was led by God into increased understanding and a sound theology. Curry’s conclusion that all of Russell’s theology was Adventist is wrong. Russell’s doctrines came from outside the Adventist movement, or were held in common with others, or developed by others. Adventism wasn’t the source of his belief. Dunn, Seiss, Heath and others who influenced his thinking were anything but Adventists.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Old goat - I was just thinking about russel today actually.

I have an itch, that pops up from time to time.

He did some very good work, I thought, on some things. I thought his creation drama was amazing work.

I often wonder, how much of his stuff is accurate. I found the Proclaimer's (i think) book quite fascinating. Funnily enough, he recognised (so it says) that in the time of the end, there would be huge violent social revolutions, overthrowing the kingdom's.

As the story goes, I find it all like a novel, fascinating stuff.

Looking at the stars tonight, so bright, so many, so amazing. And we are mere ants, the ancients knew more than we give them credit for I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit