Local Needs Talk: Brothers must repair dents and scratches on their vehicles...

by Calebs Airplane 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I would have asked defined clean and the percentage of scratches and dents a car can have. Sounds like a guy with OCD that gave the talk. Totally ADD

• adamah
    adamah

Remember, Jesus always stressed the importance of physical appearance to his disciples, teaching them to be conscious of the image they presented to the world. He even showed them how to repair unsightly dents on chariots by performing miraculous minor body repair work and the healing of paint (it's a little-known fact that one of Jesus' apostles was St Earl Scheib, the one most loved by Jesus).

Adamah

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Somebody needs to key his car.

• cedars
    cedars

Ah yes, the "Book of Opinions" - regularly taken out and read from by elders with a bit too much to say for themselves and applied as law.

As well as local needs, you will also find this "book" referred to during public talks when certain elders try to apply their material to everyday life.

Cedars

• nugget
    nugget

So glad to be away from this sort of thing. Local needs were either someone's pet peeve, or a way of humiliating an individual. A total misuse of power.it says a lot that these talks were not used to praise or show appreciation, they were always used in a negative way.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I gave a local needs item once. It was espousing the value of the foreign language congregation I was in.

What a refreshing change fromthe usual bully boy mentality stuff.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Local needs are often dictated by the personal preferences and idiosyncracies of the elder giving them. One such elder had a huge problem with seating, as he had issues with seeing gaps in the audience and people spread out. He would begin his talk by remarking about how distracting it was for him to see such a scattered audience. Then he would insist on all children, no matter how old they were, to be seated with their parents. I was 15 and sitting with a friend when I was called out by name and told that I needed to be seated with my mother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit