Local Needs Talk: Brothers must repair dents and scratches on their vehicles...

by Calebs Airplane 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

So about 8 years ago, we had a local needs talk about DENTS an SCRATCHES !!!! I sh*t you not. It was given by the COBE and this guy was just your normal everyday elder. Except he had his occasional pet peeves... like (you guessed it) Dents and Scratches on some of the brothers' vehicles. This guy could not stand the sight of any paint imperfections, scratches and let alone dents... I heard him on a few occasions voicing his opinion about vehicle appearance during Field Circus and I'm kicking myself in the head right now for not standing up for those brothers who simply couldn't afford to get their cars repaired...

Anyways, he started his talk with somehing like: "Imagine if one day, you're just getting home from work and a vacuum cleaner salesman pulls up to your house in a banged up and scratched up Honda Accord. What does that say about that salesman? Would you buy a vacuum cleaner from him?... Well if you hold him to a certain standard, shouldn't householders hold us to an even higher standard as representatives of Jehovah's organization?"

I never cringed so hard in my life since there was a young MS (who just got married and could barely make ends meet) who had a Honda Accord that fit the description... and he was sitting 2 rows ahead of me. I could tell that he just froze for the entire talk.

His wife, however, didn't take it so well and broke down in tears. She eventually got up and quickly walked to the bathroom to get cleaned up....

what a f*cked up cult !!!!!

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Scratches and dents make Jehovah sad. Become Jehovah's friend, get your vehicle repaired.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Well... If I was the MS I would have gone to the COBE and would have said:

"You are absolutely right... I need to fix it... now give me 1500 dollars to repair my car"

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I remember semilar talks about keeping your home neat & clean.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

What does it say about a corporation whose employees cannot afford to have cars in tip top condition?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Would it be appropriate for the brother at the conclusion of the local needs talk, to pray for the funds that would be required for the needed repairs, in order to more fully glorify Gods name and give an effective witness? Does this all come under the issue of universal sovereignty? I think it should.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And then some kid in the KH carpark opens his parents' car door and bangs it on your nice new paintwork because the KH carparks are so narrow so they can fit more cars into a smaller space.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

If God cared he would make sure they never got old or broke down so to fully accompish their ministry, wouldn't he?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

You should keep your home neat and clean. I don't think there is anything wrong with that advice. However, the car repairs? A lot of brothers/sisters don't have enough money to justify fixing minor dents and scratches.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

This made me think of a service meeting part I once had. Don't remember exactly the title of it but it was dealing with tact and kindness at the door and I made the point that if your car left a puddle of antifreeze in the street it would be the same as being untactful or unkind at the door. The message you shared would be overshadowed by a negative impression. Some in the audience were visibly uncomfortable because of their vehicle condition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit