Bible Error: Peter Denies Knowing Jesus

by JosephAlward 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

It's my fault.

I created the document in MS Word, and then copied it into the message from there. I forgot to ask the compiler to wraap the text. Anybody know how to do that?

• Bang
    Bang

Rev, you wrote.

it is probably safe to believe, also, that much of Jesus' and His disciples' understanding of the Old Testament scriptures was probably consistent with the prevalent halakah (and to a lesser extent haggadah)

I tend to think that Christ revealed to them what is not understood naturally; particularly by the priestly Jews.
    "Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures"

Bang

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

>Yet the Bible is diffrent from other historical texts that you mention, because it makes the claim of itself, that it's a revelation from God and demands of its reader to adhere to its belief system, condeming those that do not to everlasting punishment.<

Can you kindly tell me where the bible says that?

>As Thomas Paine says in his essay "Age of Reason"<

Can you kindly tell me where did Thomas Paine say the Bible says that? And where does Thomas Paine say, in the Bible, that the Bible says that?

I've read 'age of reason' and have an electronic text version of it here on my computer, somewhere.

• radar
    radar

Dungbeetle

"Can you kindly tell me where the bible says that?"

Yes.

Yet I cannot believe you are so ignorant of such verses but I will post some tommorow, because I am going to bed now.

but I think you need to re read my above post because it is evident that you are confusing yourself, or trying to be clever.

Goodnight

• radar
    radar

Dungbeetle

“(Holy)Bible makes the claim of itself, that it's a revelation from God.”

2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21, Revelation 1:1,there are simply too many to list.

“demands its (discerning)reader to adhere to its belief system”

John 3:36, Hebrews 3: 7-19,

Of course there are the Ten commandments, in which God asks? No commands that the people have no other Gods.(bringing death penalty)
    Considering the Bible says that God never changes, it is not surprising that we find similar warnings used by the Christian writers to urge its followers “not to eat at the table of demons”

“condemning those that do not, to everlasting punishment.”

John 3:36, 2 Thessalonians 1:8,9

Finally the quote from Thomas Paine, was to qualify the argument I was making regarding accepting something that claims “revelation”

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Took me fifteen minutes to find this thread again today.

Radar, my fault I should have been more specific--I was intertsted in where the Bible says to accept it or else have everlasting punishment. But now I think about it, the inspired part is good.

Acoording to the words attributed to Jesus (and according to JA we have two eyewitness accounts and two second-hand accounts, and I'll take his word for that becasue I honestly don't remember--sounds right tho--)he said that those who hear him, and obey him, would have everlasting life. (somewhere). He may have said that those who hear him, and don't obey him, would die, but that is not the Bible. That is Jesus' words, which make up what? less than fifty chapters out of close to 1200 chapters of the Bible?

The closest I can find to that is the sheep and the goats liiustration, but it specifies behavior toward someone coming with the news of the kingdom and the king, I think. Nothing about death for not following ANYBODY's words.

2 Timothy 3:16 and 2 Peter 1:21 have to do with inspiration. Lots of people claim to be inspired even today.

I don't see how John 3: 36 even in the English supports the claim of 'do this or else..."

"He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life, he that disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him." What does this have to do with the Bible? These were Jesus' words, and he was addressing individuals who had personally seen him and personally witnesses his miracles and teachings. That's totally different than the Bible. (in other words, all the other written parts of it)

The same for 2 Thessalonians 1:8,9; it talks about knowing God and the whole chapter is about persecution. I've always thought the scripture here was about the persecuters, tormenters. These people were murderers, who knew right from wrong. (Jews and Romans I guess). Like the Germans put on trial at Nuremburg.

Thomas Paine was RIGHT about something, and I imagine in this one thing I will get lots of agreement here: Christianity has TOLD us OVER and OVER and OVER that the Bible SAYS (pick one); and I think upon closer examination we will find the Bible says no such thing.

That was my point and you helped me make it.

Thanks for all the trouble Radar. (the scriptures and all).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit