There are more Jehovah's Witnesses in Portugal than there are Scientologists in the whole world

by cedars 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Isn't the scientology cult intended for rich folk? (that kind of limits your potential membership pool)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mmm I like nougat with my expresso.

Anyway, yes Scietology is way overbown, largely because it is wealthy famous people from California mostly.

There are also many more active JWs than there are Mormons worldwide, which is an even lesser known fact, because Mormons are highly duplicitous about their membership data.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

EdenOne:

Why don't we ever get the clearly stated number of how many BAPTIZED and ACTIVE withesses thare are? The number of publishers is interesting,

Because it would make the number who stop reporting more obvious.

but it only obscures matters.

And there's your answer.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How would you define an active a Witness if not by participation in preaching?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

slimboyfat:

How would you define an active a Witness if not by participation in preaching?

That might seem like a fair question, but it's based on ambiguous semantics.

JW 'activity' is based on largely ineffectual self-reported 'preaching', much of which is spent trudging door to door or driving in car groups, or and in some cases entirely made up (and there is significant pressure to do so), rather than actually 'preaching' per se.

'Activity' of a religious person could be based on attendance at religious services. Or it could be based on charitable acts. There is no scriptural basis for defining 'activity' as 'door-to-door preaching'.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

True, but how can a publisher who has not taken his baptismal vows be counted as a member ? That's my whole point.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Jeffro

There is no scriptural basis for defining 'activity' as 'door-to-door preaching'.

My thoughts exactly. Besides, "witnessing" is also said to be made through conduct, commenting on the meetings, etc. So how does that count as "activity" ?

Eden

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

However you measure active Witnesses, I reckon the way they count members is stricter than most other religions. This is bourne out in census returns.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

slimboyfat:

However you measure active Witnesses, I reckon the way they count members is stricter than most other religions.

Their more 'conservative' method of counting membership artificially inflates their growth rate.

If JW 'membership' were counted in a similar manner to other churches, JW growth would be pitiful. It would likely be negative in most countries, and it's already below the population growth in many countries as it is.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Nonsense as long as they compare like with like how strict the measure is has no effect on the growth rate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit