What is your favorite bible scripture ...

by Freethinking76 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Freethinking76
    Freethinking76

What is your favorite bible scripture that the jws have misinterpreted ?

• TOTH
    TOTH

Archangel Michael vs Jesus

"All things were created by Him and for Him" (Colossians 1:16).

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think you could safely say, everything that is outside mainstream christianity.

smiddy

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

The one in Deut. (I think) about worshipping the angels. They change the word to obeiscence but in the footnote it says in big letters WORSHIP. Its only in the big brown reference bible they have. They go silent every time I show them in their own bible

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

NIV Mt 24:45-51

45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Just about every cherry-picked scripture that the WTBTS promotes to JWs is misinterpreted by the WTBTS to promote whatever benefits the leadership of the WTBTS. For instance the WTBTS promotes that Mt 24:43 is a prophesy, but if one reads the whole paragraph that is Mt 24:45-51, it is more of a warning than a prophesy. In fact Mt 22-24 contain numerous warnings about following leaders like the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

In contrast to the KM song - Listen, Obey and be Blessed, I always liked the thought in Proverbs chapter 3 (forgot the verse) where the advice was to safeguard practical wisdom and thinking ability. Seems they left that part out of the song title.

Sorry: my bad. I just saw the part about misinterpreted.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

matthew 24:14

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

2 Peter 2:1-3 " However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among YOU. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. 2 Furthermore, many will follow their acts of loose conduct, and on account of these the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively. 3 Also, with covetousness they will exploit YOU with counterfeit words. But as for them, the judgment from of old is not moving slowly, and the destruction of them is not slumbering."

• Mary
    Mary

Jeremiah 25:27

"And you must say to them, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: "Drink and get drunk and puke and fall so that YOU cannot get up because of the sword that I am sending among YOU."

I kid you not.

• processor
    processor

"Rejoice with the wife of your youth", an advice given by a man who had "seven hundred wives ... and three hundred concubines" (Pr. 5:18, 1Ki 11:3).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit