GUESS What I Can Enjoy Now, That Being In WT Kept Me From?

by Iown Mylife 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Pretty much EVERYTHING! I think that about sums it up.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I have returned to my hobby of landscape photography and am enjoying it immensely. The hobby has taken me back to some of my favorite places in Colorado and is opening opportunities to visit some I’ve never seen. I am also writing my science-fantasy novel which is proving to be quite the project.

My partner and I have plans to see some of Denver’s many attractions as well. Museums, art galleries, the zoo and the performing arts are on the agenda as well as expanding our social circle. I am so pleased to be involved in things other than boring, pointless meetings and the empty door-to-door canvassing routine.

I have plans to expand my horizons as well. Getting back to my study of the classical guitar and learning cinematography are on my to-do list. It just feels so good to be doing something constructive and enriching. But I’m not simply thinking of hobbies for myself. I want to do some volunteer work with my spiritual community here in Denver because I firmly believe in giving something back. I know there would be neither time nor opportunity for any of this had I remained a Witness.

Quendi

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Quendi, you play classical guitar! We should talk.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Thank you, rmt1, loved those links!

InquiryMan, i did enjoy recorded barbershop music but could not ever see it performed live, as they seem to use church facilities and a JW is never supposed to enter a false religion church for any reason. At least that's the accepted prohibition here in my area.

Mr. Flipper, thank you and you are so right, being involved in music as a family is very healing!

Quendi, you are REALLY enjoying life! it sounds wonderful.

Lisa, i enjoy all your comments and writing - yes i buy those terrible girl scout cookies and have even saluted the flag recently.

Sammy, it is SO TRUE i am feeling so well because of guilt-ectomy. I appreciate getting to communicate with the great folks on this forum.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Life....

• scubajetlee
    scubajetlee

so you ,are saying if you are a jw you are not allowed to have any fun at all?They

just sit at home and study all day?wow thats not what i heard

• talesin
    talesin

lol! I used to have a tee shirt that said "So many men ...." on the front, and "... so little time." on the back.

to the OP -- maybe you would like to join a barbershop quartet! :))

tal

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I immediately saw that I was able to attend more cultural events such as museum exhibits and concerts. Not that there was any explicit ban against these activities, but as a JW you always felt that you should be doing something else, and more importantly, that someone was noticing.

• laverite
    laverite

IOWNMYLIFE -

What a truly wonderful thing to be able to enjoy lovely music (or anything, really!) without being under control of the Watchtower Corp. I simply love your username. Congratulations on OWNING your OWN life!!! To be free of the control of the Organization/Society/Corporation is a freedom that we should never take for granted. There are a few million people in the world (what is it -- about 7-8 million, perhaps?) that are not able to enjoy the mental freedom that we have from Watchtower Corp.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Thank you Laverite!!!

It's like you say, a huge blessing is being mentally free. I first became free of the WT physically, by not attending FS and then the meetings. But it has taken many months to begin to break free mentally.

I'm so lucky to be aware of the need to de-program. This forum is so helpful in that endeavor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit