Swimming with dolphins! or, erm ... pigs?

by Simon 12 Replies latest social humour

• Simon
    Simon

Just saw this, pretty interesting:

Pigs haven’t exactly evolved for an aquatic lifestyle, but apparently that doesn’t stop the pigs from Big Major Cay, aka Pig Beach or Pig Island, part of the Exuma Cays archipelago in the Bahamas. The island is uninhabited when it comes to humans, but wild pigs have taken over, and over time they became good swimmers.

credit: Flickr

According to Wikipedia, there are about 20 swimming pigs on the island, which they share with a few stray cats and goats (though there’s no word on how good the cats and goats are at swimming…).

There are many legends and theories surrounding the swimming pigs: “[They're said] to have been dropped off on Big Major Cay by a group of sailors…The sailors, though, never returned; the pigs survived on excess food dumped from passing ships. One other legend has it that the pigs were survivors of a shipwreck and managed to swim to shore, while another claims that the pigs had escaped from a nearby islet.”

Eric Cheng, a photographer who went to the island, had this to say: “Because locals bring food, the pigs will run into the water and actually swim out to the oncoming boats, as if to greet them individually. It is strange enough to see pigs laying around on tropical beaches of white sand, but to see them then charge into the water to greet oncoming boats is just bizarre.”

credit: Pig Island book website

There was actually a children’s book written based on this. It’s called The Secret of Pig Island and was written by Jennifer R. Nolan and contains photos by Jim Abernethy.

Here’s one last fine specimen of a swimming pig…

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/swimming-pigs-rule-small-bahamas-island.html#ixzz2ZuajHnSh

• stillin
    stillin

I know that girl!

• Simon
    Simon

Ha, my wife thinks pigs are cute. That's OK but then she says I'm cute too. I don't know whether to be happy or grunt.

• Simon
    Simon

Also, I wonder if the bacon is ready-salted?

• designs
    designs

Surf's Up!

• still thinking
    still thinking

How gorgeous! Apparently pigs make awesome pets. Although...they can also eat humans

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

That is darned cute. Thanks for sharing! BTW, cats are very good swimmers. They mostly don't like water, but if necessary they can swim quite well.

• Glander
    Glander

I've read that pigs are more intelligent than many other species. Reminds me to read up again. I love learning more about the real world and the creatures in it.

PS If you want a mind blower read up on the orchid flower and its adaptability. There are some great documentaries also.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Aren't Jehovahs creations amazing! Its so marvelous how designed them to be able to swim. No doubt this came in handy during the flood.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Thanks for sharing Simon. I love pigs! They're supposed to be smarter than my dogs! (Actually, that'd be pretty easy if you only count my Pomeranian - not the sharpest puppy in the pen).

gorgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit