'Apostates want to draw people after themselves'--what are they really implying?

by sd-7 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have often heard this criticism levelled at Ray Franz, in gossip at the Hall. In fact since reading his book and being here , I know that to be a falsehood.

It is much like in Orwell's "1984", when The State invented the arch enemy Goldstein who was supposedly out to subvert everything they did and corrupt the Party Members if they were not careful

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Muddy Waters: You know, even as a dub, I used to wonder a bit about this, about these bad apostates lurking about, "seeking to draw me away to themself." But where were they? I didn't see any actively trying to draw me away.

Yeah, it's definitely a "monster in the shadows." Fear is a powerful tool in the toolbox of controllers.

Jeffro: The main reason JWs 'need' to shun 'apostates' is about information control .

Information Control is definitely a big part of it, but I don't know if I'd agree it's the "main reason." Another huge reason is the fear of being shunned that is omnipresent in the minds of the faithful should they ever even think about sinning in any way shape or form, especially by questioning the WT leadership.

This is the same as the reason society used to have public executions and public floggings. Punishing the criminal was (and is) important, but scaring the hell out of everyone else was (and is) even more important. Ya' gotta' keep the "faithful" in line.

Nothing motivates like fear.

The whole "evil apostate" boogeyman used in conjunction with the practice of shunning is like a quadruple whammy of psychological manipulation all rolled into one powerful sucker punch.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Just ask any JW about organ transplants, that will prove who they follow. Then ask what the consequences of not follwing the FDS's direction would be.

Sample presentation:

You: Good morning, how are you today? I was in your area performing a public service. I am eager to ask your viewpoint on a matter.

JW: householder: Oh, yes please.

You: Would you agree that Christians have a responsibility to follow the teachings of Christ Jesus found in the Bible?

JW: Definitely!

You: Glad to hear it! Did you know that many people have died refusing medical procedures like organ transplants, all because their religious leaders forbid them, even though there is no scriptural basis for such a prohibition?

JW: I have never heard of such a thing!

You: If you were faced with a loved one in need of a transplant, what would you do? Would you obey men above God's word!? Would you allow a family member to die because of human thinking?

JW: Never!

You: ( Hand them the article banning organ transplants, then ask..) If you had lived during this period of history when the WTBTS forbid organ transplants, what would YOU have done? Would you have obeyed the commands of men who had no scriptural backing for those commands?

JW: I uhhh, errr, mmmm, I trust the " faithful slave!"

You: More than God's word?

JW: I would never disobey the FDS..

You: What would happen if you did?

JW: I wouldn't.. but you could be DF'd.

You: For not following an idea of men?

JW: They are THE channel god is using. I would obey, we have the resurrection hope.

You: You don't have to die. There is no command against organ transplants. The GB expect you to obey, correct? They require that you obey them, correct?

JW: Yes.. I would just go along with whatever they say, even if it's wrong.

You: According to scripture, what kind of men expect others to follow them instead of God or Christ? What men want followers for themselves...??

JW: I, I, I, I, uh, uh, ermm, ( cough, cough..gasp! ) GyAHHHH!!!!!!

( Based on actual events )

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

What you say is what you are.

• out4good3
    out4good3

SD-7

I've given that a lot of thought and have come to pretty much the same conclusion as you, although along a different vein.

Instead of the implication of the soceity thinking of all ex-JW as potential cult leaders, I think that they are just afraid of increased competition from other religious charismatics pimping their personal spiritual plane.

For the most part, their tactics has been largely successful in that most draw away from religion altogether upon their exit from being a JW.

Speaking for myself, after my exit my thoughts on organized religion pretty much follow the path of those of Thomas Paine. In his pamphlet, The Age of Reason, he speaks of national religious institutions appearing to be nothing more than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind and monopolize power and profit under the guise of pretending to be on some type of special mission from God. (www.historytools.org/sources/Paine-Age-of-Reason.pdf).

Does that resemble any particular organization you've been affiliated with?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Oubliette:

Information Control is definitely a big part of it, but I don't know if I'd agree it's the "main reason." Another huge reason is the fear of being shunned that is omnipresent in the minds of the faithful should they ever even think about sinning in any way shape or form, especially by questioning the WT leadership.

That's also a reason they shun, absolutely. But it's not the main reason they need to shun.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Instead of the implication of the soceity thinking of all ex-JW as potential cult leaders, I think that they are just afraid of increased competition from other religious charismatics pimping their personal spiritual plane.

Good point. Especially since we know that advertising is the name of their game, reasonably then, a big part of their advertising strategy is to slam the hell out of their competition. That seems to make up a pretty large portion of their recruitment strategy--be it attacking Christendom or like with the new brochure they just put out that's geared towards practicers of Judaism or whatever. In this case, apostates are their most dangerous competitors, as exposing them as a complete fraud guarantees they can't win a person back to the Borg if they leave (save perhaps through blackmail). And since clearly thousands are leaving on a regular basis, they need to at least minimize their long-term losses, in typical business fashion.

Also, absolutely loved The Age of Reason--it was one of the first books I read that was critical of the Bible itself. I'm actually thinking of reading a little Richard Dawkins soon. Just read a sample of 'The God Delusion' on my Kindle and I'm already hooked.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit