Did anyone notice this?? Think: Noah's Arc

by Bloody Hotdogs! 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bloody Hotdogs!
    Bloody Hotdogs!

The September 2013 Awake has this to say about the length of Zheng He's treasure ships:

"Historical records from the Ming dynasty say that Zheng He’s treasure ships were amazingly large—447 feet (136 m) long and 183 feet (56 m) wide. Scholars find these figures problematic and hard to verify, in that wooden sailing ships in excess of 300 feet (90 m) in length are structurally unsound.

“All indications are that exaggeration has been at work in the accounts that mention the ships’ enormous size,” says one article on the subject. “A ship of about 200-250 ft [60-75 m] would make much more sense than the 450 ft [135 m] one.” Whatever the case, in the 15th century, vessels measuring over 200 feet (60 m) in length were certainly exceptional, and Zheng He’s fleet included up to 62 of them!"

I had been lead to believe that wooden ships 450' long were rather easy to build (a 600 year old man could do it!) and ridiculously seaworthy. But maybe Zheng's big mistake was building his ships with rounded, pressure-resistant ribbed hulls. Everyone knows that perfectly square and flat-bottomed is the way to go.

• cantleave
  • Simon
    Simon

Well spotted !

• prologos
    prologos

middle eastern goat herders had no monopoly on exaggeration

if you build with wood,

size is not good.

look at the vikings, columbus for guidance.

• mP
    mP

Bloody

I had been lead to believe that wooden ships 450' long were rather easy to build (a 600 year old man could do it!) and ridiculously seaworthy. But maybe Zheng's big mistake was building his ships with rounded, pressure-resistant ribbed hulls. Everyone knows that perfectly square and flat-bottomed is the way to go.

MP:
    The chinese ships were not sea worthy in the sense the European ones of the same era were. The chinese never sailed away from land into the middle of the ocean. This is a major difference and it explains why they never made it to America or Australia. If they did it would not be a secret we would all knw about it.

Flat boats are the product of river travel, open ocean ships are very different.

• mP
    mP

Bloody

cholars find these figures problematic and hard to verify, in that wooden sailing ships in excess of 300 feet (90 m) in length are structurally unsound.

mP:

Scholars not making this up its a fact. The US navy built the largest woodenship and it was useless. YOu can search for it on wiki. If wooden ships scale to such large sizes then why is it no European nation managed to repeat this but had to wait for steel ?

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I think you forget that he covered the ark with tar.

Honest to Zeus, this is what one elder told me a while back when I mentioned the impossibility of Noah's ark floating.

• mP
    mP

2+2=5

I think you forget that he covered the ark with tar.

Honest to Zeus, this is what one elder told me a while back when I mentioned the impossibility of Noah's ark floating.

mP:

Of course all the modern navies & shoipbuilders didnt know this. The fact is you cant build a big boat out of wood and thats why it didnt happen until steel came along.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

mP, I think you maybe misunderestimatimg the magical tar.

• mP
    mP

2+2=5

my reply still stands, how exactly does Noah invent this magical tar, without giving credit to jehovah for giving it to him ? It still doesnt explain how the modern navies all failed to build large wooden ships.

i appreciate you were speaking in jest but the bible does nt mention a magical tar. Of course all xians are liars of the biggest kind but even their big lying book doesnt say this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit