How successful we're quickly builds in your area

by joe134cd 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

I never understood what the hurry was about. Or the cheapness of the finished product.....Armageddon is coming! It's right around the corner!

Now many of them have to be sold and repurposed. Drive through liquor store anybody?

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Our QB was controlled by a small group of "tradesmen" elders.

The rest of us willing volunteers were clearly looked down upon. I was on several occasions badly spoken to, the goal, to raise laughter among others around. I heard language that I would rather have expected on a " worldly" building site.

The last time I went, I ended up having just one desire: to smash the shovel I was using, firmly and squarely in the face of another " brother".

I didnt do it. I took my things , went home, and never went to help again.

I felt at the time that they had robbed me of enjoying a " wonderful" experience.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Mold, Mold and more Mold. In FL that is what happen to many QB halls. Also with wood frame exterior walls those pesky termits was the other problem. One of the Ocala halls half the walls were replace because of termits. That is one big reason the QB ended. Also the RBC has become a big bureaucracy with all there rules and regulations and how all the vol. have to qualify and take safety classes. It is no longer fun going to one it is just another freebee the Wt. gets from the witnesses. Totally ADD

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Ours was very successful--a cute little brick building, all landscaped and all. We've scrimped and saved for many years for one, a nice piece of valuable property was donated by a couple of friends. Then in 2010, all the brothers and sisters descended on a couple of nice weekends in the fall for the "quick build". We all had a good time. The volunteers were tired because they did lots of work at Nashville when the Cumberland River flooded the banks. Now back to our hall. In the late 60's, brothers and sisters moved down from Chicago and other places to get the Truth(tm) established here. They put up a humble, wood sided building and meetings were held in it. In time it was expanded and remodeled a little. Now finally, we got our new, lovely Kingdom Hall. But not so fast. Two years later, the Society decided they wanted it so we have been politely asked to move to neighboring halls. They are making final preparations for the 'takeover' I call it, as I write.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Around here they took longer than three days to build but I'd call them very successful because they were to very high standard and had many qualified volunteers working on them. The halls here are beautiful.

That's not proof of Jehovah's spirit though because many nice things are built around here.

• steve2
    steve2

I don't know about quick builds but I do know about the opposite: Excruciatingly slow builds: CLose to two years - if not longer. Is that a record??

In my local congregation, one brother hogged the role of building a new kingdom hall next door to the old one in the late 1970s-early 1980s. He was a control freak who appeared to criticize brothers for not helping yet privately pin-pricked any help he did receive. How convenient that all the brothers he criticized found out indirectly what he had said about them. Talk about dis-spiriting. He was an unhappy man in an unhappy marriage and was seldom seen out in service.

I know I was not alone in concluding that the solo building project was probably a defensive reaction to his loveless marriage (to a non-witness) and his discomfort with the door-to-door work. It was one gigantic 'up yours' to the local brothers and sisters. You've heard of fruits of the spirit? he exuded the rotten tomato equivalent.

He was one resentful brother who was given way too much power and control over the building of the new hall - a hall that ended up looking like a concrete bunker and was as welcoming as one.

I don't know whether the hall suffered from mould but I do know it had precious little life in it. The builder was the kind of brother I could not imagine enduring in the organization unless there was some self-aggrandizing project to work on. Funnily enough, it is only when I recall this very slow build that I bring him to mind and wonder what became of him and whether he's even still alove. Oh, the concrete bunker still stands but I ain't been back inside since I left and have no desire to.

• Simon
    Simon

I wonder how many are still standing?

How many thought they just needed a 'make do' place until Armageddon arrived?

• biometrics
    biometrics

When I was a kid I remember the elder in charge of building the KH made it extra large to accomodate the influx of sheep before the "spiritual ark door gets shut".

Thirty years later the hall is still 3/4 empty during the Sunday service.

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

afaik quick builds are no longer done in canada, many of the 70's to early 90's quick builds now need large renovations due to poor construction, mainly due to moisture buildup/water leaks. supposedly they used the usa's building code when it should have been different due to the colder climate up here.

• Glander
    Glander

As I recollect, we always met in rented buildings with folding chairs or crude benches. It was only in the mid to late fifties that special built KH's were starting to be a focus for the congregation to have. I look back and realize it was a great $ program by the WTB&TS to encourage and finance these little churches with volunteer labor and dependable monthly payments. I know that there was always a little corporation formed to deal with Brooklyn, but I never heard of a KH being paid off and title reverting to the local cong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit