EVERYTHING you always wanted to know about shunning, excommunication and disfellowship practice

by Terry 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Hummingbird 001:

I'm trying to find an old article I wrote connecting certain people and happenings with changes in DF policy.

I have been researching, using a lot of the old threads and I saved these comments of your's, Terry. I'm sorry I didn't note which thread they were on, but maybe they are the comments you are looking for?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY what I had in mind!

I'd like a copy of YOUR archive on MY articles :) I don't keep them or index them.

Which makes the book I'm writing very difficult!

• Terry
    Terry

AndDontCallMeShirley:

Terry, I can't check right now, but was that addressed in CoC at all?

I haven't read CoC since 1997 and I loaned my copy to somebody who never returned it! So, I don't remember. But, I would

be surprised were it not covered.

• Terry
    Terry

AndDontCallMeShirley:

Terry, I can't check right now, but was that addressed in CoC at all?

I haven't read CoC since 1997 and I loaned my copy to somebody who never returned it! So, I don't remember. But, I would

be surprised were it not covered.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Terry”:

“Watchtower 1952 Mar 1 pp.131,134: . . . . Well, the reason for disfellowshipping is that some persons get into this congregation of God that do not love Christ. . . . Next, in 1954, they declared that Jesus would no longer be considered a person to be worshipped by Christians!

Well, in view of the above, I think that if Jesus Christ were to actually come back bodily and pay a little visit to the Watchtower headquarters, he would no-doubt tell that silly little octopus (the GB): “Everyone, then, that confesses union with me before men, I will also confess union with him before my Father who is in the heavens; but whoever disowns me before men, I will also disown him before my Father who is in the heavens” (Matt. 10:32, 33). Then he would repeat his simple direction at John 13:34, 35: “I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.” Then he would tell them, “YOU also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside YOU are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness” (Matt. 23:28). Then, after taking a deep breath, he would say, “I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness” (Matt. 7:23). And finally, I believe, he would disfellowship them! (And if the ones who came up with the blood policy and child abuse cover-up policy would be there, then I think Jesus might not be able to resist giving them a case of leprosy – as a little “present.”)

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Thank you Terry, for posting Rutherfords article pointing out, of all things, a PAGAN origan of Disfellowshipping. Also, of interest, is the assertion that the practice has no basis in scripture but is something the dredded Catholics cooked up. Whoda thunk the WTBT$ would so eagerly embrace a Catholic practice. Soso Confused wonders if the dubs were saddened by the new policy in the late 40's. Answer: Depends... Just as it does now. Kind people found it a horrible "test" of loyality. However, those like my parents (self-rightious and fully indoctrinated Zombies) seemed perfectly happy it was instituted. My mother told me that she had seen a lot of "CO's and pioneers get away with murder."(she meant fornication and adultry) That one CO had even made a pass at her. She said they thought if you spent a lot time in the "service" it made up for wrongdoing. Sooooo she thought "It's about time!!!"

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My Father was friends with Knorr so he was all for the DF policy. Dad happily shunned his Dfed brother for at least 20 years until he died. I find the Covington aspect to be a DING DING DING bell ringer for me. DFing was obviously a strategy to neutralize Covingtons influence. The Reasons given to the flock were secondary.

• Terry
    Terry

I have a ritual I perform.

When I'm about to do research for my book I sit down and think hard about who is saying and doing this and that; then I ask myself the question:

"What is going on at that particular moment in time which makes this action a logical and compelling action for them to take"?

Otherwise, it is easy to fall into a mental melodrama where evil henchmen are pulling levers and bats are flying out!!

The psychology of being a person in charge who can literally peer into Almighty God's mind and read it...is quite a daunting task to comprehend!!

Is it any different in the Catholic faith? A man gets elected Pope and on Tuesday who, on Monday, was just a regular human being. It has to pop your cork.

How can you think of yourself as the straw through which millions of people sip the elixir of the gods?

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Good research

• bats in the belfry
  • tim hooper
    tim hooper

According to the London bethel, shunning is a personal matter for each individual to decide for himself.

During the hoo-hah re ex's being described as "mentally diseased", the Daily Telegraph printed this quote from a spokesman at the London bethel:

Rick Fenton, a church spokesman, defended the passages, saying ostracisation was "a personal matter for each individual to decide for himself".

"Any one of Jehovah's Witnesses is free to express their feelings and to ask questions," he said. "If a person changes their mind about Bible-based teachings they once held dear, we recognise their right to leave."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8791196/Police-inquiry-over-Jehovahs-Witness-magazine-mentally-diseased-article.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit